The Release

Scarlet's pov

Waking up feels impossible as I open my eyes, blinking away the crustiness that sticks to my lashes. 

I give a small gasp as pain tears through my stomach and breathing hurts. I turn my head and see Jared sleeping in the chair beside my bed and realize that I'm in the hospital.

I laugh and start coughing, pain tears through my stomach and my lungs feel like I've been running a marathon. Jared jerks upright and sees me awake. His gray eyes widen and he grabs water off the bedside table and pours a small cup.

He stands and comes over to me, "Careful." He murmurs as he tips the cup up for me to drink. He refills the cup several more times before I'm finished with the water. "How are you feeling?" 

"Like I'm in the hospital again." My voice sounds rusty. "I hate these places." 

I realize that there is a dark shadow over his face, a scruff I have never seen. "I hate these places too." 

I stare at the ceiling, "How long have I been here?"

"Two weeks." His gray eyes are shadowed with worry. 

I groan and flinch as pain runs through my body again. "How long have you been here?" 

As I look over at him and I see the palest flush on his face. "The same time. Been doing a sponge bath. I couldn't leave you. Your mom and sister left not that long ago to get some food." 

A thought comes and I whisper, "Miles." 

Pain flashes over his face. "He's dead. So is Daniel." 

I sit up and ignore the pain that ripples through my body. "When's the funeral?" 

"They're having it next weekend. Julia decided to invite us. Probably going to embarrass us but we can take it." 

"Can I get out of here yet?" I know I sound annoyed but I just hate hospitals. 

Jared smiles, "Easy there tiger. You are still healing from a near death experience." 

"I just want to go home." I look down at my hospital gown. "And my own clothes." 

Jared smiles. "I'm pretty sure they are going to release you soon, you're healing well." 

I cock my head and make a motion with my finger, motioning him closer. "Come here." 

He smiles when he's close and I slide my fingers over the rough hair on his face. He flushes, "I didn't have time to shave." 

I slide my fingers into his hair and bring his mouth to mine. His stubble scratches my palms as he leans in. He doesn't touch me, only braces his hands on either side of me as I lay back down again. 

Of course that's when a doctor decides to come in. He chuckles as he sees us and Jared pulls back and sits. 

"Looks like you're doing well Miss Green." He raises a brow at Jared. "Very lucky with the injuries you sustained but we were just waiting for you to wake up. I think by this time tomorrow you'll be cleared to go home. I bet you're excited to get back home to the masses. We also need to make sure you can at least eat something since I see you have already drank." 

I exhale, "Yeah. Also to take a shower." I feel gross. 

He smiles apologetically. "We couldn't move you safely enough to wash the blood from your hair. I'll just have to look over you and then you can get on home. We will have some pain medication for you to take for about a week and a half." 

I grin, "Awesome. We should get this done and over with." 

***

I didn't get to leave as soon as I wanted but when I did, Jared carried me down to his car. He sent a text to mom and she said that Jordan and her weren't going to be at the house for a couple more hours.