The Match

Scarlet's pov

Jared is talking at a rapid pace and I have stopped listening because I can't keep up. We're in the lunch room and Jared's arm is draped over the back of my chair. I still haven't been sleeping well but I've been eating more and taking a sedative before bed so I can be more alert during the day.

Kylar and Willow are watching him and James is hiding his smile from me. He knows I'm not listening. Drake is flirting with his newest girlfriend and I can tell her mood keeps dropping every time he looks at me and winks. 

Jared stops talking and is looking at me. "Hmm?" I ask when I look at him. 

He looks annoyed. "Have you not been listening to me at all?" 

I cock my head and lean back. "Not really. I was thinking." 

He leans closer and everyone looks away. They didn't seem to like watching this new closeness from their friend. I'm not quite sure what to think about it either but I don't lean away. "About?" 

"Nothing you need to worry about." 

His hand brushes over my shoulder and I feel heat race through my body at his touch. It also doesn't help that my shirt is several sizes too big and keeps slipping off my shoulder, like right now it was off my shoulder. "Okay, I'll go with that for now. Excited about today's match?"

I shrug my shoulders. "A little.  Coach was surprised I still plowed through everyone the other day, it was a little funny."

He tugs on a strand of my curly hair and smirks. "He underestimates you, I hope we'll crush Astoria." 

"Me too Jerry Perry." I say, loving the way his face goes from arrogant to irritated. The rest of his friends snort.

I stand up and ruffle his black hair. He looks up at me and grabs my hand. "Let's go. We have the same classes this afternoon." 

I sigh, "Only you would know that." I know that too, but he doesn't need to know that.

***

The afternoon comes faster than I expect and before I know it I'm in Jared's car with mom trailing behind us. Coach had given me and Jared smooth loose robes that were red, white, and blue. Jared has blue shorts on and a white shirt. I'm in similar blue shorts, only mine are shorter and I am wearing a white and red sports bra under my gray zip up sweater.

He's driving smoothly with one hand on the wheel and it makes me wish I had my motorcycle from London. I had loved the feel of riding it. 

"Did you drive anything back home?" Jared asks as if he had heard what I was thinking. 

I smile sideways at him. "A motorcycle." 

He casts me a glance before paying attention to the road again. "That's cool. I'm jealous." 

"Don't be. If I get a bike here, I'll take you for a spin." 

"I hope that's soon." There is a soft smile at the corner of his mouth and for the first time I wonder what it would be like to kiss him. I had always thought he was hot but the idea of kissing him sent rushes of excitement through my body. 

I look away when he looks at me again, I can feel my cheeks burning. "Me too." 

We pull up in front of the building we are holding the match at and he parks but doesn't get out. I don't either. Mom's car is pulling around the corner and I bite my lip hard and lean over and press a quick kiss to his cheek. 

His cheeks color and he raises a hand and touched the spot I kissed. "What was that for?" 

"Good luck." I get out of the car and grab our bags. He gets out and mom pulls up in her car. She turns it off and gets out.