Meeting the Neighbors

Scarlet's pov

Once we got everything inside mom decides that she is going to make the neighbors a special cake of hers and I try not to groan when she says it but it slips out anyway. Her eyes glitter with amusement at my exasperation. "Patience young one. Go unpack in your room."

I glare at her before bounding up the stairs and finding a furious Jordan standing in my doorway. "What do you want brat?"

Jordan turns her furious blue eyes on me. "You get the second biggest room and I'm stuck with the tiny dork room. You're the nerd, you should get it."

I raise an eyebrow. "Sucks to suck. I may be a nerd but at least I'm passing and I'm not a slut so go." I cross my arms when she doesn't move. "We gonna box it out? You know who'll win that fight." Her icy glare twitches and she backs away.

"The only reason I want the room is because there is a window that looks at our neighbors house. I bet they have a hot son."

"Your a perv you know that right?" My tone is harsh but I don't really care, I push my rectangular glasses up on my nose.

Her angry blue eyes flare, "It's not my fault you don't like guys. At least I have sexual interests."

I snort, "Get out brat." I push her out and close the door, slumping against the wood as it closed. She was sixteen and acts like the world should be bowing at her feet. It was ridiculous, she had an ego the size of a planet.

There were no curtains over the window that stared directly into my neighbors place and it was annoying to see them so close. In our house in London there had been many places to hide. I start unpacking my boxes and bags and slowly set them up. The dresser was already set up in the corner of my room and my bed was shoved against the wall. I put the pull-up bar in the opening of my bathroom and tested it to make sure it wasn't going to fall on my head.

There was a knock on my door and I strode over and opened it slowly, making sure it wasn't brat face. It wasn't, it was mom. "We're ready to go when you are."

I lean against the frame. "Then we're staying here forever. Cause I'm stuck to the door frame."

Mom sighs and grabs my hand, if she hadn't been my mom, somebody would have a black eye. I hate it when people grab me. "You're coming Scar. You need to. Try to put some effort into it."

I look at the ceiling and mutter a curse under my breath. "Okay, only for you mom."

Mom held a dish in her hand while Jordan was busy making sure she looked oh so perfect for meeting the neighbors. I was still in my worn in cargo pants that were fraying in the knee, battered sneakers, and a loose shirt that hid my girly frame. As much as I don't show, I knew if I wore the right clothes, I would have lots to show. It was ironic for me to be curvy because I hate attention and my sister loves it and I got the curvy, while she got the thinner, nearly flat chest look.

Mom knocks on the door and I hear somebody shout, "Will you get that Mary!"

I then hear somebody say something quieter in response but it was too low to hear through the door and I almost felt awkward standing there with my hands in my pockets. The door creaks open and a brown eyed woman greets us and her brown eyes widened and she threw open the door and flung her arms around mom. "It's been too long Ally." She has brown hair that was falling hazardously out of her bun. She has a nice face and it is filled with joy as she looks at me and Jordan. "These must be your children. Lovely."

I hold out my hand to her and she grasps it with soft hands. "It's nice to meet you. I didn't catch a name though."

"Ally must not talk about me much, I'm Mary Gray. An old friend of your mother's from high school." She embraced Jordan who looks horrified for being touched by a woman. "Come on in."

Mom looks startled and I hide a smile. She didn't startle easily. Jordan was examining everything and kept patting her hair down, and feeling like an ass, I reach over and ruffle her hair in an exaggerated manner. She bats my hands away and I smirk as her hair stood up, just as the rest of the house comes into the living room. There is one man who has graying black hair with twinkling blue eyes and I have never been impressed or had a crush on any guy but this one was cute. Or rather he was hot. He had black hair that was rumpled like he had just rolled out of bed and striking gray eyes.

Mary motions to the man and the boy. "This is my husband Chris and my son Jared, our daughter Jessica isn't home at the moment."

Jordan gave a shy wave to Jared and completely ignored Chris, which I thought was rude. I offer a small smile, only because of mom, and held out my hand. Chris shook it, his smile making his eyes crinkle. Jared looked at me with amusement and took my hand, his was warm and calloused too. "I'm Scarlet."

Jared's eyes flicker to my hair and I knew what he was thinking. Like the hair, I thought he would say something but all he said was, "Huh."

I pull my hand back from Jared's and look at Jordan. "That's my sister Jordan." I really want to add, she's a bitch, but I knew mom would kill me if I did that.

Jordan kept batting her eyes at Jared but he hardly seem to notice. I tug the leather strip off my wrist and used it to tie my unruly hair back. I tap mom on the shoulder. "I'm going back home."

Her arm snakes out and she wraps her arm around my shoulder and mutters quietly. "Stay please. Maybe you'll make a new friend."

I hiss back at her, "Probably not going to happen mom. Jordan has her eyes on him."

She rolls her eyes in annoyance. "Just stay for a few. You can go back in an hour."

"Thirty minutes. Take it or leave it." She rolls her eyes again.

"Fine."