Mom Explains

Scarlet's pov

As mom and I make our way downstairs, I can hear Jordan in her room, laughing about something. I pause and mom frowns but stops. I knock lightly and her laughter cuts off abruptly. 

I look down at the floor and see her shadow standing in front of her door. A minute later she cracks the door and smiles when she sees me. "You're looking better. Still look exhausted but like you slept for a little." 

"Thanks brat," I chuckle softly. "Glad I still look terrible but a little better. I feel better though."

Jordan smiles. "I have to go. Jessica is over. She came over when she heard Jared was here and we're spending time together." 

I pull her from her room and hug her. She wraps her arms around me and I ruffle her hair. "Have fun. But not to much fun."

She knows what I mean and she blushes. "Will do Scar. Same to you."

I wink at her, "Nothing's happening in this rodeo so you don't need to worry." I let her go and she closes her door. 

Mom looks absolutely baffled. "When did this happen?" 

I smirk, "Not that long ago. She came to me making amends. It was a shock to me too." 

Mom nods and I follow slowly behind her and try not to laugh at how mortified Jared looks. He's sitting on the couch, slumped down with his arms crossed. 

She grins, a wicked grin and chuckles. Jared looks up and looks at mom frightfully before me and gives me a weak smile. He doesn't look arrogant now.

"I'll go get you something to eat Scar. Your must be famished." 

I look at her with an exasperated expression. "You don't have to mom." 

Her expression is closed now. "Yes I do."

I stare after her, feeling like she has other reasons for leaving us alone. I clear my throat, feeling awkward. "That was weird." 

Jared gives a short laugh. "Not as weird as the conversation she had with me." 

I go and sit down next to him. "What'd she talk to you about?" 

He looks down at his long tan fingered hands. "Oh, nothing." 

I pull the light blanket off the back of the couch and wrap it around my shoulders. "You look way to shocked about the conversation for it to be nothing." 

I bump my shoulder into his and when I lean my head on his shoulder he tenses. I snort, "I know exactly what she told you know. After I became friends with Miles she had the same conversation. She does this when she thinks one of my guy friends like me. Which you don't, so that shouldn't be a problem." 

My voice cracks at the end and I'm not sure why. Jared leans his head on mine and I wrap the blanket around his shoulder. 

"Thanks for being there for me Jared. Really." It was nice having Jared around, even if he was being a jerk.

I am not the greatest with thanking people because I prefer not to be around them, the only people I had were Judy and Miles and I never needed to thank them.

His body loosens and he exhales. "No problem Styx. If you ever need me, I'm next door." 

I chuckle, "Next door window rather. All I would have to do is get your attention." His warmth is comforting and I curl my legs up under the blanket. I had changed into the gray pants from Jared's house and the same white shirt. The shirt still smells like him.