My Family Issues Suck

Scarlet's pov

Mom is standing with me and Jared outside. I'm leaning against Jared's car and he's leaning next to me. 

"I saw dad inside. He's married to Mrs. Moore." 

Mom's relaxed posture goes rigid. She looks around. "I didn't see him." 

I start gnawing on my nails. "Judy was ever so kind to point him out. Says her stepdad wanted to leave after we left so they moved to Astoria." 

Mom looks frozen and she looks around again. "So you're saying that he's been following us?" 

I flinch when I tear the skin on my finger. "Yeah, I would call it stalking. Kinda scary." 

Jared moves closer to me and places a hand on my back. "I think we should go." 

She moves towards her car when I hear raised voices. "You don't get to dictate my life mom! Dad is better at that." 

I hear a woman's angry voice. "Daniel is not your dad. Your dad is away."

"Dad wouldn't have moved away from home because of some bitch. You're just a pawn mom. Dad is the one you're married to now." 

Jared's fingers are digging into my back now and we're both frozen as the Moore family rounds the corner and Julia Moore is supporting her daughter and Miles, who looks pissed. Daniel is thankfully not in sight. 

Miles freezes when he sees me. Judy and Miles have a nasty bruise in the same spots. Apparently, Jared and I hit in similar spots. "Scarlet." 

Miles sounds dazed. Jared is digging his fingers in my back hard enough it should hurt but oddly doesn't. Julia stops and struggles to keep Judy on her feet. "Who are you?" 

My anger flares like a fire being lit. "I'm your husband's daughter. You should know me. I was friends with Miles and Judy for years." 

Julia sniffs in distaste. "Oh you. I've heard all about you and your problems." 

I cross my arms across my chest. "Talk about problems," I scoff. "You have no idea. My dad has more problems than you can imagine too. He sleeps around you know." 

"He's a changed man. He said marrying me was the best choice he made after his last affair went awry. He loves me." Mom has stopped and is staring at Julia in shock. 

"Oh, you tell yourself that. He doesn't, he uses and manipulates until he doesn't need them anymore." 

"Missy, you shouldn't talk like that." I turn and see my dad leaning against the building. I don't know how long he's been standing there, but it was long enough. "You don't know anything about me." 

Jared tries grabbing me to stop me as I get within several feet of my dad. He laughs, "She never liked to be controlled." 

"And you never liked loyalty. It isn't in you genes to be loyal. Your staying around her for whatever reason you've come up with." I fire angrily.

His cold blue eyes narrow. "You have no reason to talk Scarlet. You kill whatever loyalty might be there. You're the reason I'm not around anymore." 

"That's your own fault." 

Dad chuckles harshly. "You know that's not true. You're a loose cannon." He smirks nastily. "Or shall we say gun?" 

Miles jumps in between us. "Stop Dad, you don't want to start anything." 

I grab the front on Miles's shirt and get in his face. "Don't, you were supposed to be my friend. You and Judy both and you don't tell me that my goddamn father is your new dad. You don't get a say in anything." I shove him into Julia and she nearly topples over.  

Mom's hand is over her mouth and Jared's hand circles my bicep. "Styx, we should leave." 

He tries tugging me back but I refuse to move. Dad laughs loudly. "This must be the boyfriend. How sweet. You better watch out, you're getting a spoiled deal with Scarlet. Go after Judy, bet she's real sweet." Julia still has Judy and she's glaring at me. They're both glaring at me.

"Let's go Styx." Jared mutters. 

Dad laughs louder still. "You don't know what she did do you? Oh wow, that's enlightening. I can tell you." 

Mom jumps in before he can say anything. "Stay away from her. We know you've been following us. I also know you don't live in Astoria. You're not the only one who's learned to be sneaky over the years. You live closer than your dear wife realizes. She doesn't understand how absolutely out of your goddamn mind you are. You're crazy Daniel." 

The corners of his mouth are tight and his blue eyes are furious. He tries to move towards mom but I stop him. "I wouldn't do that if I were you. I might not have a weapon but I'm still more dangerous than I look."

He glares at me and tries to shove past me. It doesn't work well for him because he might be taller but I was pissed off. I grab him by the shoulders and bring my knee up as hard as I can between his legs and shove him into the wall. I grab the front of his shirt and sock him in the face. "Bitch." He wheezes painfully.

I dig my forearm into his throat until I start cutting off his air and hiss dangerously. "Just because I don't have a gun doesn't mean I'm defenseless. I told you to stay away from us and you've been warned once. If you come near us again, I. Will. Kill. You." I jam my forearm deeper into his throat and he chokes. "The police will ignore the crimes if you are a stalker and it's self defense." 

I slam him back into the wall and let him go. He's hacking as I back up and Julia looks horrified. Miles is as pale as milk and Judy has passed out. 

Jared grabs my arm and helps me into the car. Mom's face is pale and worried but I wave her away. "I'll be fine." I say weakly.