22 ~ S.P.E.W

Isabelle and the others had never been so overloaded with work. It was now mid December and tensions were running high, despite the build up to Christmas the teachers were still piling work high to cover for the lessons they missed for the tournament. They had just finished their last lesson of the day and were heading out to the Hogwarts grounds. "When are they going to tell us about the Yule Ball? They're cutting it a bit late notice aren't they?" Clementine whispered when they boys ran to the carriage to get the girls their scarves. Isabelle nodded in agreement and shivered as they ploughed through the thick layer of snow coating the grass. "Incendio." Isabelle muttered making the snow in their path melt, clearing the way. The took a seat by the beech tree which Isabelle enchanted to prevent falling snow from landing on them. "I hope someone from Durmstrang asks me. If Victor himself doesn't do it, then I want one of his friends." Clementine said wishfully as she threw various pieces of bed she'd collected from lunch into the Black Lake for the giant squid. "As long as it's not Cedric or Harry, I don't mind who asks me." Isabelle giggled back leaning her head on the rough trunk of the tree.

"Do you care about the welfare of House Elves? How they're over-worked and under-payed?" A brunette girl stormed up to the two with a large box in her hands. Isabelle and Clementine exchanged puzzled looks before turning back to the girl. "I know you, you're that book worm that hangs out with Harry." Clementine said sending Isabelle a worried look. The girl frowned and furrowed her eyebrows, "My name is Hermione, but I'm talking about a resolution to the horrible treatment of house elves. Therefore, I have created the Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare, S.P.E.W." She said proudly, opening the box to reveal an array of badges with SPEW written in different colours on the front. Clementine stood up and brushed the leaves from her skirt, "You're the girl with Victor Krum aren't you?" Clementine said, annoyance in her voice as she pointed at the girl. Hermione gulped and took a step back, clutching the box worriedly. "Petrificus Totalus." Isabelle muttered rolling her eyes. Hermione stood watching in shock as Clementine froze, in a paralysed state.

"She'll be fine, now what were you saying?" Isabelle said sweetly, peering into the box. Hermione grinned widely and pulled out a badge, "House elves are being forced to work without any benefits for themselves. They are being used as slaves, it's not right and we should be doing something to stop it." She said triumphantly, Isabelle nodded in agreement and went to pick up a badge when there was a shout in the distance. "Isabelle!" Fleur voice called as she stormed up from the carriage. Isabelle rolled her eyes and groaned, "Give me a minute." She muttered to Hermione , approaching the annoyed girl, "What is it Fleur?" The blonde huffed loudly and passed Isabelle the large golden egg. "I cannot do it! It is giving me a headache with all its yelling! Can you do something? Like look inside it or make it speak properly?" Fleur said angrily folding her arms and shivering in the cold. Isabelle shook her head and passed the egg back, "It's Mermish. Mermaid language, to us it sounds like horrifying shrieking but underwater it sounds normal. I can speak a small amount of mermish but at the moment my hearing is rather sensitive. You need to listen to it underwater to be able to hear what it says." Isabelle explained, keeping an eye on Hermione to make sure she couldn't hear.

As much as Isabelle loved her brother, she didn't want anyone else to know of her relation to him or her abilities. Fleur nodded, grabbing Isabelle and now the back to normal Clementines arms and racing back to the carriage leaving a disgruntled Hermione watching after them. "Madame Maxime has requested for all Beauxbatons to be back before six, it's almost six now." Fleur huffed dragging the pair along behind them. When they entered the carriage, Max and Alex were already sat down with two seats saved beside them. Fleur joined her friends while Clementine and Isabelle sat in their seats awaiting for Madame Maxime.

"Good evening, all. The Yule Ball has been a tradition since the very first Triwizard Tournament. Hosted on the eve of Yule and celebrated until midnight. The three or in this years case, four champion will open the ball with a dance. Every guest must bring a dance partner and know the classic dance which we will be learning tonight. The ball will begin at 8:00 p.m. and only students in fourth year and above may go from Hogwarts, unless an older student invites them. I expect none of you will choose a younger student as you are all much older but of course there is no rule against it. All the ladies must wear their best gowns or they will have a chance to purchase one this weekend at Hogsmeade, while the gentlemen must wear delicate and smart dress robes. I expect each of you to conduct yourself with pride during that evening and I want no inappropriate behaviour from any of you." Clementine bounced up and down excitedly, planning her dress in her head. Isabelle however, sat with complete disinterest, instead she simply observed the room listening to the excited thoughts of her classmates.