one

[m/n] peeked through the gym doors stealthily, watching the volleyball players practice

[m/n] peeked through the gym doors stealthily, watching the volleyball players practice. he watched as his brother spiked the ball with much force and silently cheered for him.

the only real reason [m/n] wanted to join the volleyball team was to make his brother proud in following his footsteps. let's just say him and rei have a very rocky relationship, for some reason, everything [m/n] does annoys him and it's completely unknown why.

so, the younger suzuki blamed it on the stress rei probably had due to his job, volleyball, and trying to stay on top of his studies, all while taking care of his younger brother. [m/n] thought it was way to much for his older brother, but when he offered to get a job himself rei only lashed out on [m/n] about not trusting or believing in him.

maybe their mom should have put more thought into what rei would have to carry while she was away for work.

their father already had another family so it was no use in even asking him for help.

[m/n] didn't even notice he was blanking out until a ball flew in his direction, hitting his face. the force of the ball knocked him back, falling on his bottom. he rubbed at the probably red area with a small whine.

"hey, are you okay? i'm sorry! i didn't mean to hit you!"

[m/n] looked up to see a third year, asahi—who he knew due to having to take papers to him once. "ah, i'm fine..." he mumbled, "it's my fault anyways for watching without asking."

he reached over and grabbed the ball, handing it to the third year once he stood up. "you were watching our game? you must be interested then, right?" another voice piped up, moving to where their ace stood with the orange haired male.

"i'm sugawara, vice-captain." he said with his signature smile, pulling the younger male into the gym and into everyone's view.

[m/n] was about to introduce himself but was interrupted by none other than his brother. "[m/n]...let's talk outside, yeah?"

even though it sounded normal, the stern look in rei's eyes said something completely different. so with a sigh, he nodded and let himself out, rei following shortly after.

"why are you here? you're supposed to be home doing homework." he said with a sigh, "my practice doesn't end till late and do you realize how dangerous it would have been if you had to walk home alone because i didn't know you were still here?"

"geez [m/n], you have to tell me if you're staying late as well."

[m/n] looked to the ground, "i want to play too..."

"i'm sorry, what?"

"volleyball...i want to play volleyball too."

rei looked at him with furrowed brows, "you hate volleyball."

"that's not true!" well, it kinda was. he didn't necessarily hate volleyball but he most definitely didn't like it. he didn't like anything that required physical activity in general, but if his brother played volleyball, than so should he.

"[m/n], please just go home. i'll be back with dinner." he said, turning his brother away from the gym and pushing him in the other direction.

[m/n] huffed, "stop pushing me! i said i want to play volleyball!!"

rei opened his mouth to reply but the door of the gym slammed open, "do we have a problem out here?" it was the captain as well as suga—who looked at [m/n] worriedly.

it seemed as if they didn't realize [m/n] was actually rei's brother and believed he was probably being bullied or something. taking notice of this, rei shook his head, "no, i'm just trying to be my brother to go home."

"your brother?" suga asked, eyeing the brunette, then flickering his eyes over the orange-headed male.

"yeah..i'm his brother." [m/n] said, shoving his hands in his pockets. "he's being mean though." he mumbled, looking to the ground.

he didn't mean for them to hear but they did, "how so?"

he glanced at his brother who had a stern look in his eyes, then back to the captain and vice-captain, "um, well, i want to play volleyball and he said no."

"i did not say no, i don't make the rules here. i was just simply reminding you that you hate volleyball, but whatever, ask daichi if you really want to play." he spoke, turning away from his brother and walking back towards the gym.

"so either go home before it gets late or wait for me somewhere so we can walk together, stop making things difficult." with that, the gym doors slammed shut and it sounded like whatever game was happening resumed.

the two captains looked at each other, "suga, why don't you go in and tell coach i'll be back inside in a few—i'll make up for the time i'm missing." the silver-haired male nodded, shooting a smile towards [m/n] and going back inside.

"i'm daichi, the captain." he held his hand out, [m/n] shaking it with his own introduction, "[m/n]."

"do you really want to play volleyball?" he asked, crossing his arms.

"yeah, kinda."

"kinda?"

"um, no, i mean, yes, wait—"

he was cut off by a chuckle, "don't worry, tomorrow morning, be here early and i'll see what you got. from there we can see what happens, does that sound okay?"

[m/n] nodded, "it does, thank you."

"great, how about you head home, your brother doesn't seem to be in a good mood right now and you don't really deserve to be lashed out on for being interested in something."

"ah, okay, thank you again." he said with a small bow before running off.

daichi watched as [m/n] stopped halfway and started waking instead. shaking his head, the captain walked back into the gym, shooting rei a stern look before getting back into the game.

NOTES .
hi hi ^^ this is my first story so please don't be harsh 😖 i hope you guys liked this chapter! please don't be shy to point out mistakes or give constructive criticism!!

thank you for reading :] <3