five

"why are you letting rei determine your place on the team?"

the sudden voice made m/n jump in his seat, whipping his head around to see hinata and kageyama, though kageyama looked like he didn't really want to be there.

"he's not," m/n grumbled, "i've thought and decided i don't really like volleyball, so why be on the team?" well, it wasn't a complete lie.

"if you even thought about playing then that can't be completely true."

the look in hinatas eyes were weird, compelling even, but m/n willed himself to look away. "you're a great player, you should reconsider. it'd be nice to have you on the team." hinata ended with a smile, nudging kageyama with his elbow.

after sighing, kageyama stepped forward, "join the team or you'll regret it."

it sounded threatening but kageyama surely didn't look threatening when he spoke, so m/n offered him a curt nod.

after a short silence they walked away, leaving m/n with his thoughts.

m/n didn't think of himself as an easily manipulative person, but looking back at it, he's been following his brothers orders and wishes just to make him happy when sometimes he, himself isn't pleased with the choice.

if m/n's admiration for his brother wasn't so high then maybe he would've done something irrational, like join the team just to spite him.
but that isn't the case, m/n loved and respected his older brother and his space, and if the volleyball team was rei's safe space then so be it, he'll stay away and support him from the stands.

yet, for some odd reasons hinatas words just wouldn't leave his head. perhaps it was just the hinata affect, "m/n? you've decided to join the team?"

hinata's excited voice paused everyone's actions, awaiting his answer. m/n shook his head before clearing his throat and directing his attention to his brother, "i'm going to be home late, i got a job so..."

it was his first time talking to his brother after a while, so for some reason it felt weird.

"you got a job? i told you i can handle money."

"so i'm not allowed to do anything? jeez, let me be in some control of my life," m/n rolled his eyes, "i'm going now, i'll buy dinner on my way home."

"hey!—"

rei was cut off by m/n cupping his ear, "sorry can hear you! super loud in here!"

to help prove m/n's point, the rest of karasuno quickly picked up their volleyballs and started making noise, making m/n smile and show himself out.

getting a job wasn't as bad as m/n thought, he kinda liked it. after writing he didn't really like to interact with people, he expected to be immediately rejected.

instead, they just shoved him in the pack to unpack and stock, later telling him he would be learning cashier. considering m/n wasn't in the spot to protest, he just mustered up his best smile and nodded.

now, he was walking home with a plastic bag in hand—the dinner he told rei he was getting. luckily enough, he had got himself a job right around the corner of his house so he wouldn't be getting lost (on accident, that is) anytime soon.

m/n didn't expect to see rei sitting at the dinner table, an unopened box of their favorite desert right next to him. he half expected rei to ignore m/n's words about dinner and get something for himself, but here he was, patiently waiting.

once rei heard the door shut he turned his phone off and pocketed it, nodding to the dessert, "i bought us something sweet to eat later..."

"cool." he said after an awkward cough, placing the bag down on the table and taking out the food. rei thanked him and they both ate in silence.

"so," rei said after they finished eating, pushing the dessert to the middle of the table, "you got a job."

"i did," m/n said with a curt nod, moving to open the box of sweets and grabbing the first thing he saw, "but i'd rather not talk about anything related to sports or jobs if i'm going to be criticized."

rei sighed, grabbing a sweet of his own and taking a bite. "listen—"

"the way you said that sounded very serious... so i'd rather not."

"i'm sorry okay? there i said it."

m/n rose a brow, "it's sounds as if you didn't want to apologize in the first place, so apology not accepted."

rei ran an hand through his hair, obviously irritated at m/n's comments, "i am sorry."

"can you at least try to sound genuine?" m/n asked, crossing his arms with a pout, "it would be way easier for me to accept your fake apology if you tried to make it sound real."

rei just shook his head and ate silently, he was obviously fed up with m/n, usually, the younger would just cave and accept it—genuine or fake, but he's being extremely difficult at the moment.

"hinata spoke to me earlier today, asked me why i let you let you determine my spot on the volleyball team," m/n said softly, remembering the gingers words clearly, "i didn't really see it then, but you kind of control my life, and i don't really like that."

"i just thought by letting you tell me what to do without disagreeing was better, since you're always so stressed and i don't want to make it work, but i'm almost seventeen, rei!" m/n ranted, the older male not interrupting—which the younger was greatful for.

"i should be able to do what i want with my life, i wanted to get a job to help you out at home—'cause sure, moms paying rent and stuff, but food? clothes? supplies? you're doing that, alone. i just want to help."

when rei didn't speak, m/n just nodded and excused himself to his room. at least everything was out there now—well almost everything.