Chapter 17

Ms. Russo and I have bonded these first months of school. However her constant nagging gets on my nerves.

"Kami, what do you plan to do after school? You can't simply make a living painting." She says to me in her sweet motherly voice with her thick Italian accent. I see pieces of silver poke through her dark thick hair. Her chestnut eyes are always filled with wonder. Her rounded red glasses that are always hanging at the end of her nose makes me smile.

"Ms. Russo I've told you. I have no idea what I'm going to do after school." I tell her as I continue painting my latest project.

She stands behind me over my shoulder watching my every move, she pushes the bridge of her glasses up to get a better look.

"This is beautiful, Kami!" Staring at my work
"But you've got to figure something out, you have too much to offer this world. Have you thought of studying abroad?"

I stop my brush. "Like in a different country?" I let out an exaggerated laugh

"Yes, like France or Italy" she flatly says

"Europe?! That would cost too much, not to mention I don't belong in a place like that." I tell her sort of defeated and annoyed she would put that in my head.

"Then.... where do you belong Ms. Cooper?"
And with that question she glides away knowing she just perplexed me.

Everyone at The Yard is talking about Halloween parties this weekend. People have already started dressing up to walk around campus. We have vampires, witches, mummy's, and every kind of version of "sexy" costume. It's comical how worked up college kids get about Halloween. When we were kids it was all about the candy and costume. Now it's all about the costume or lack there of and booze.

"What are you dressing up as Kami?" Penny breaks my thoughts. 

"Oh I'm not dressing up!" I say with a laugh

"What? YOU HAVE to go to the party with us." Jason says to me. I've noticed his long looks lingering lately I really hope he doesn't have a crush on me because I can tell Penny has a crush on him.

Rebecca of course chimes in, "you WILL BE going, no excuses" she tries to demand.

I just roll my eyes and laugh.

To be honest I kind of want to go but I really can't because I'm not cleared from probation yet. And if I'm caught drinking age this would be the last straw. I guess I could maybe go and not drink anything.

Flashes of that summer night before our senior year emerges in my mind. The party we went to. Bethany was suppose to drive that night. I can feel the lump in my throat forming and I just need to get out of here to be by myself. I gather up my things and sneak off unnoticed so I can let out a few tears. This crying shit is getting old.

Adam's POV

It's been over a month and I still can't stop thinking about Kami's full lips. How is this even possible? I've been avoiding her at all costs. Even Mrs. White the old library with ugly shoes has noticed. I assume Kami has also switched her schedule to get out of working when I am.

I've seen her a few times in the distance. She is usually alone or sitting quietly while everyone talks around her. Some times I wonder how she gets away being so unnoticed with how beautiful she is. Those beautiful hazel eyes that suck you in, the perfect shades of greens and browns. Her long hair always sits just right to the middle of her back. Her long lean legs could kill me. She has no idea how effortlessly beautiful she is. And then I remember she hasn't actually gone unnoticed. I see the way Jason has looked at her. Even the way he's talk about her to me. "Kami seems really cool even though she is quiet." "I think Kami would be fun to hang out with." It's fucking annoying. Though I get it.

I can't believe I still have to force myself away from this complicated girl that I barely know. Good thing I know she will not be at the party tonight. Too many people for her. It's the perfect way for me to let loose and not worry about running into her.