Chapter 27

I wake up and still have no reply from Adam. Which sends a slight panic through my body. Rebecca wakes up not too long after me.

"I've been meaning to ask you, do you want to go home with me for Christmas, at least for a couple days ? It would help me get around since I'm broken and I'd love for you to see where I'm from."

"Yeah, actually, I think that would be great for me!" I say trying to sound excited but my heart is racing from not getting a text from Adam yet. And just as if he can hear my thoughts my phone buzzes.

"I would love to meet. I'll come to you. Be there in an hour."

-Adam

I jump up. "I need to shower and change and brush my teeth." I say out of breath to Rebecca

"Was that Adam?" She says in a very childish mocking tone.

I put my hands on my hip, which is something she would do.

"Yes." I mock back

I've barely gotten ready when I sense he is here, I just know it I can feel when he is near. I open the door before he can even knock and he takes my breath away. This man I've only known for a short time completely excites my entire being. He looks exhausted. His eyes are baggy. His hair is messy, which I love. He has on a plain t shirt and loose fitting sweat pants. I just want to wrap my entire body around him and never let go.

His golden eyes lock in on me. "Come in." I say while gesturing him in. Before I could get the door shut behind him he has swooped me up, squeezing me, his face buried in my hair.

"I really thought you weren't coming back to me." He says and my heart feels like it's exploding. I run my fingers through his hair and then move my hands to his cheeks. I look him in the eyes "I'm a hot mess. Like a real fucking train wreck." I tell him as a warning.

"I'm a mess too. And I've never felt the way I did when you walked out that door and said goodbye. I don't care what baggage you have I'll carry it with you." He says these things to me and I can't believe they are coming from his mouth. Why me? Why would he want to ruin his life with my mess? But I'm too selfish to give him another chance out. He finishes his speech with "I have some baggage too that I'm going to take care of."

Rebecca clears her throat. "Uhh, I'm still here guys. Sorry I can't really move."

Adam and I let out a laugh because we both had forgotten she was there.

A few hours later Rebecca is fast asleep. Full belly and pain pills. It was a nice evening being surrounded by both Becca and Adam. I was feeling strange, loved?

I take in a deep breath to begin my speech but he interrupts me by putting his hand up.

"Before you begin I need to do something."

He pulls me into him flat, those beautiful earthly hue eyes staring into my soul. He presses his lips so gently I practically whimper for more. He reaches his hand through my hair and down to my neck. Taking our kiss deeper and I'm spinning out of control. Just as I break the kiss for air, he takes me right back in like our mouths are direct magnets that can never be pulled too far apart. He finally lets go, and places a gentle kiss on the tip of my nose and my stomach flutters.

I'm out of breath and my body his hot.

"What was that for?" I ask him

"I needed to kiss you like I wasn't going to be able to kiss you again." And his eyes seemed to be filled with sorrow.

"I'm sorry I ran. I don't know how else to deal with..." My breath catches and I exhale slowly.

You have to live your life for Bethany I hear Mrs. Michaels in my head.

"The summer before my senior year of high school. My best friend, Bethany...."Tears fill my eyes and Adam takes my hand. I can see in his eyes he remembers the night I was yelling her name. "Bethany and I went to a party. She was suppose to drive but her douche canoe ex boyfriend was there and she needed to have a little extra fun. I had two drinks that night over the span of an hour and half, two hours." I shift my weight with the guilt weighing heavy on me. "Bethany couldn't drive that night so I did... there was a truck driver who fell asleep at the wheel. He crossed the line and I tried ...." tears escape my eyes. "I tried to dodge it but I couldn't. I was thrown from the car and Bethany was trapped in. But she was ... she... she was gone instantly. And it was all my fault."

Adam's eyes are filled with tears and he takes everything I've said and lets it settle in. He takes my hand up to his lips and kisses my knuckles gently.

"I can't begin to know what you went through or continue to go through. But it doesn't make you a bad person or unlovable. You deserve to let people in who care about you. And I do care about you Kami. So much."

Tears fall from my eyes and I'm just dumbfounded by this man.

"I don't know what to say." I tell him with a slump in my body.

He kisses my cheeks and the tip of my nose. "Let's get some rest you've had a rough couple of days. But mark my words. I will make you see you deserve to be loved."

I squirm at the word loved and then stretch a little and agree to rest. We climb into my bed. I instantly put my head on his chest so I can hear his heartbeat and wrap my leg around him. He chuckles at me.
"What?" I growl at him

"I'm just thrilled to be the one you feel comfortable to wrap your body around." I can't  see his face but I know he is smiling.

And before too long we are fast asleep