Chapter 19

Adam's POV

I walk into the frat house. It's nice living not too far away so I can walk back and forth without worrying about driving or getting a ride. It's been a few weeks since I've partied here. I've pretty much stayed too myself to sulk. I walk to the kitchen and grab a beer. I down it in no time which leads to my second and third. The beer is smooth tonight and I have a slight buzz from the rush of my first couple drinks. It's going to be a good night.

I head to the living room, another beer in hand, where the action is always packed.

As soon as I see her I spit up and choke on my drink. What the hell is she doing here? Kami wouldn't come to a party like this. Her back is to me but I KNOW that's her. What is she wearing? It's a red dress that hugs her just right. It hits right above her knees showing off her legs. I laugh to myself noticing that she is wearing converse while most other girls are wearing heels. She doesn't even have to try to look this good.

I see Jason's hands at her waist pulling her to him. I clinch my fists I've never been jealous of anyone especially someone like Jason. I mean he's a friend but he can be a tool. The game is going quickly and Kami is almost up. If it wasn't for Jason fucking it up the game would be over.

I smile as soon as Kami lands her flip. But then he grabs her and the urge to beat his ass is consuming me. I've never felt this type of anger before. Fuck her laugh. I want to be the one to make her laugh. That should be me lifting her up. My brain reminds me that I can't. But the beer says I can.

And I'm gonna listen to the beer.

Just as he's about to put her back down on the ground. Her eyes find me for the first time in weeks and my chest aches.

Kami's POV

After we've knocked everything around us over Jason is putting me down and then across the room I lock eyes with that golden eyed boy. My head is spinning a little but I know that's him. We are locked in each other's eyes from across the room. Jason looks at me and then looks over to Adam then back to me.

"Come on. Let's play another round." Jason tries getting my attention while gesturing me to come with him. My feet once again are glued. My eyes widened when I finally have the ability to move and I turn around breaking my gaze with Adam and head straight for the closest exit.

I push through people in the kitchen and out the front door. The cool air takes my breath away for a second, my arms are chilled, but it feels good to be away from the noise of the party. Just as I allow my body to relax I hear his voice from behind me.

"Kami I need to talk to you." He demands

I spin around furious. "No No you don't get to waltz in here and demand to talk to me."

His eyes are soft as he studies me up and down while he rubs the back of his neck with one hand and the other in his pocket. "Please I need to explain.." his words trail off and he looks toward the road. His eyes are widened.

"It's the campus police." He says in calm voice.

I jump. "What! The police?" I'm running my hands through my hair pacing back and forth I need to get out of here. I'm going to have to tell him the truth. Or at least part of it.

"I can't be here. I'm on probation." I stutter out hanging my head down feeling guilty and ashamed of myself.

I can see the shock in his eyes but he immediately grabs my hand and says

"Let's go!"

I think this is the part where I should be worried. I'm letting a guy lead me around in an unfamiliar place in the dark. But the weird thing is with Adam it doesn't feel unfamiliar. It feels different when I'm with him. I can't explain it.

We are hiding behind some trees as the flashing lights from the campus police are lighting up the frat house. You see college students scattering everywhere!

I hate those flashing lights though. It gives me goosebumps thinking about how much flashing lights have affected me.

Adam notices my goosebumps and he takes off the leather jacket he was wearing for his costume.

"Here you are cold where this." He says to me in the sweetest desperate voice

"I don't need your damn coat." I say harshly while swatting it away. He spins me around to face him. Only inches apart from one another.

"Why are you so damn stubborn!? You are infuriating!" He says harshly through his teeth and I'm pretty sure he is turning red.

I'm boiling. I feel like my body is on fire. "Me! Me? I'm infuriating! I'll tell you what's infuriating. You! You take me out on this perfect date, you kiss me, and then FREAK OUT and leave me standing alone on the steps!" He starts to interrupt me. "No I'm not finished." I say to him firmly. "And then you've avoided me like the plague. Like I did something wrong." I say in defeat. I'm no long fidgeting I'm just standing there desperate for an answer.

I see a smirk crossing his face.... Is he laughing at me?

"Are you seriously going to laugh at me?"

"No you said ... you called it a perfect date." He says with an emphasis on date.

I roll my eyes and smack his shoulder. But he grabs my wrist to stop me. He starts speed walking in the opposite direction we came from never letting go of my wrist.