Chapter 2 - The Game

I barely slept that night, and even when I did, I dreamed of Prince Richard, turning into a terrifying demon and demanding my execution when he found out what I was.

As I left for the stables to muck out the horses, I hoped desperately that I was not so transparent in reality. Sir Tristan had kindly told me that I might take his second horse, Willow, for my visit to the castle later. I made sure she was cleaned and fed for the journey, before getting myself ready.

I cleaned myself up, donned the smartest clothes I had and brushed my mousey blond hair, making sure I also had a warm coat and hat to guard against the cold. I readied Willow, and as we departed, I was grateful that the wind was less biting than it been the previous day. Sir Tristan had wished me luck when he saw me and reiterated that I should enjoy myself. It had been clear that he could see my nerves but did not know the full extent or reason for them. And as I set off on my journey to the meet the prince, those nerves were badly in need of redirection.

The majestic turrets of the great castle were taller than any structure I had seen before, and flags fluttered at the summit of each. A sprinkling of frost made the ground sparkle, like there was something magical about the palace.

I was greeted warmly by one of the castle servants, a man of about my age with ginger hair, who asked about my business. Once I told him, he smiled and said I had been expected. After tethering Willow and giving her an apple, I followed the young man through the ornately carved doors where I was hit with a wall of heat in contrast to the icy cold outside. The servant offered to take my outdoor clothes, so I obliged and thanked him.

The corridors he took me down were filled with royal portraits and armour decorated with weapons. The walk to the dining hall was relatively short, each step further deepening my nerves. As the servant knocked loudly on the door, my stomach constricted, and I felt slightly dizzy. I was about to face the stunning prince and still had no understanding of the underlying reason for this lunch invitation. I stood behind the ginger man until I was formally introduced.

"Sebastian, Your Highness," stated the servant with a small bow.

"Please, come in Sebastian," boomed a voice from inside the room.

I stepped to one side and Prince Richard came into view. I had been through this situation in my mind a thousand times since I had received the invitation, but his chiselled handsome features still blew me away. Warmth flowed through my body as I soaked up the sight of him, looking every inch a prince in his royal attire.

"Your Highness," I managed with a bow.

The prince stood and smiled broadly. I steadied my breath as his smile hit me square in the chest, and I pondered how I could possibly make it through this lunch without giving myself away.

"Ah, Sebastian, please," he gesticulated to a nearby seat at the dining table, and only then did I see anything about the hall. A long dining table stretched across it, with a white cloth and decorated modestly. There were two places set for eating, on opposite sides of the table at one end. A long fire crackled at one end in an ornate hearth.

Prince Richard looked as though he were indicating for me to sit down. As I moved forward, I heard the door close behind me as the servant departed. I hesitated next to the seat, unsure what to do, as it certainly was not customary for a squire to be seated in the company of a member of the royal family.

"Um...," I stumbled while trying to decide whether to be seated.

"Sebastian," the prince said warmly. "Did Tristan not inform you I had invited you for lunch? Your surely cannot eat while standing. Please sit." I looked at Prince Richard, who was smiling pleasantly.