Chapter 11 - The Picnic

Two weeks later, during the first week of July, we were blessed with a series of glorious days. The sun peeked intermittently through the hazy clouds bringing the temperature back to a reasonable level for both working and pleasure.

Apples, brambles and elders started forming their fruits on the hedgerows that surrounded the castle, and in a few weeks, they would be fat and ripe. Chunky dragonflies and bees buzzed in the summer-infused breeze. Dark green and full leaves opened toward the sunlight.

And so, it was during that spell of clement weather that Richard asked whether I would go riding with him for a full day, since he had managed to create a gap in his schedule. I could hardly believe that if he had a full day to spare from his duties that he would choose to spend it with me. But who knew when these opportunities would cease, and so I sought to enjoy as much time as I could with the man I had fallen for.

On the designated morning, we agreed to meet in the stables after breakfast. I arrived first and prepared the horses. Richard brought with him a picnic that had been prepared by the kitchen, which he had collected on the way to the stables. I noticed he also carried a small pouch, tied to his hip, and joy filled me to know what that meant. I gestured towards it and smiled.

"You plan to head east, then?" I asked him.

"Unless you have any objections?" His earthy eyes met mine, as he glanced at me fondly. My insides melted into a puddle just from that look. I shook my head.

"None," I replied, my appearance remaining composed.

We took the same route as we had in the spring. The sun was warmer this time, pockets of scarlet poppies hid beside hedgerows. The glittering stream was even clearer than I remembered. The horses lapped up the water eagerly, while Richard and I revisited the willow tree in search of the kingfisher. We were not disappointed, and I took much pleasure in watching the orange and blue arrow fly gracefully through the air to meet its silvery slippery target.

I was thrilled to be able to navigate the stepping-stones without aid when we started towards the woodland, although part of me was tempted to feign incompetence just so that our hands might touch once more. I banished the thought from my head and focused on following Richard quietly into the forest. It was around fifteen minutes before the doe came upon us. Her wet tongue tickled my hand as I held out some of the corn passed to me by Richard, and I suppressed a childish giggle. We did not leave until she had consumed all her apple and elegantly departed.

We returned to the horses, merrily discussing the beautiful summer day and the gregarious doe.

"Now we ride north," said Richard, as he climbed onto Shadow's back, giving him a pat as he did so. 

The black stallion swished his tail in agreement, and we followed the forest line north. After a short while we took a turning into a forest path. Brambles and hazel trees were overgrown, and I suspected this trail was not used much, although Richard seemed to know where he was going. It soon opened into a woodland clearing, carpeted in soft, lush grass, surrounded by foliage. The sounds of a babbling stream could be heard, probably a continuation of the one from earlier, and when I looked to the far side of the clearing, I saw it just next to the treeline. The bobbing white tail of a rabbit disappeared into a patch of wildflowers, one of many that grew around the edges.

"Are you happy to lunch here?" Richard asked.

"Of course," I nodded. It was the perfect place for a picnic.

Richard handed me a blanket that I spread on the floor for us to sit on while we ate. He placed the basket in the centre and sat next to it. I sat on the opposite side as he started unpacking various foodstuffs. Soon, we were tucking into fresh bread, ham, quail eggs, fresh fruit and apple cake under the warm sun. The buzzing of insects and birdsong were the only sounds we could hear other than our own conversation.