Chapter 6 - The Boundaries Of The Law

As usual, I lunched with Annabelle in the kitchens and continued with my chores throughout the afternoon without incident. Seven o'clock was slow to arrive, but when it eventually came, I was knocking on the prince's heavy oak door.

"Come in, Sebastian," he called from within.

On entering, I looked over to the gaming table and saw that Richard had already set a game up for us to play.

"We are playing Backgammon then?" I commented jovially, knowing that we usually agreed together what we were to play.

"I was in the mood for it," Richard smiled at me. "You can choose the next one. Wine?"

I sat down in my usual spot at the gaming table.

"No, thank you, Richard," I replied, as he must know by now that I would.

"I wonder whether I will ever give you cause to accept a drink with me," he teased.

"Perhaps on some special occasion," I placated him, although I could not imagine any reason why I would be willing to deliberately impair my senses.

Richard poured himself some wine, and some water for me, and we played.

"Thank you for this morning's ride," I said, rolling the dice and making the first move. "It was most enjoyable."

"Which part was your favourite?" the prince asked.

"Meeting your doe," I replied. "You must have had patience in abundance to form such a friendship with a wild animal."

"I was resolved and committed to the goal," he replied.

"And obtained a marvellous outcome from it," I commended him.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it," he replied, and his smile suggested he meant it. We played without speaking for a few minutes, before Richard broke the silence. "There is something I would like to discuss with you this evening, if you'll permit it. It is approaching three months since you arrived here, and we agreed to review your situation after that time," Richard continued playing as he spoke. "I know it is a little premature on what we agreed, but I would like to find out how you are faring?  Do you have everything you need?"

"My needs are relatively few. I feel well treated and settled here, in no small part as a result of your kind hospitality," I replied. "Might I ask how it appears from the other side? Am I as you expected?"

"And more," the prince nodded, and I tried to hold the oncoming blush at bay. "You work hard, and, by all accounts, are friendly and polite as you do so. I hear good reports from everyone, and I enjoy your company during these evening visits. I have already intended to ask you to stay on. Before I do, I would like to ensure that you are comfortable, and whether we can change anything that might suit you better."

"There is nothing I can think of, Richard, but thank you. I am quite comfortable in my quarters and I am certainly well catered for by the kitchen. Nutmeg is a fine horse and I am grateful to have use of him."

"Your practical needs sound like they are well met," replied Richard. "What about your other needs? Do you have friends in the castle?"

"So far, people have been nothing but kind," I said. "I have some people I would consider friends, and I hope to see those friendships continue to grow. I usually eat with Annabelle from the kitchen."

"I know her," he mused. "A sweet young girl. Perhaps you are sweet on each other?" Richard raised an eyebrow suggestively.

"Not in the manner you suggest," I replied. "She is certainly sweet, but we are content with friendship."