Chapter 24 - The Contract

The next morning, my first port of call was to ensure my squire was comfortable. Annabelle was already there, and told me that Paul's younger brother, Luke, was carrying out Sebastian's chores. I was pleased that the young men had found a solution and told her I would gladly pay the boy for the hours he worked. She agreed to pass the message on to them and curtseyed as she departed.

Much to my relief, Sebastian was able to sit upright, and drink water on his own. His head was still clouded, and he needed help with washing and dressing, but together we managed it. I did not speak to him about the events that had transpired, as it was obvious that he needed more time to recover. Annabelle offered to spend the later part of the morning with him and bring us food when it was available from the kitchen. I ensured the rest of the staff knew she was helping me so that she would not be reprimanded for her absence.

I also took Katherine some breakfast personally, telling the guards to stay away from her. I did not want her spiteful words to fall on any ears except Tristan's or my own.

It was mid-morning when Tristan and I managed to meet in my quarters to discuss my strategy.

"So, you have an idea that will somehow stop Katherine revealing the truth at her trial?" Tristan started once the door was closed.

"No," I countered. "My plan is to assume she will divulge what she knows, but for it not to impact either me or Sebastian."

Tristan looked confused.

"I will not bow to her demands and free her. If I do that, she will have a hold on me that she can use indefinitely," I explained. "I mean to take her power away from her by making her threats worthless. The truth is going to be revealed, whether I like it or not. So, I am going to make it on my terms and not hers."

"You are going to disclose your relationship with Sebastian before she does?" Tristan asked.

"Exactly," I confirmed. "I intend to establish an agreement with my father that will protect us from a death sentence."

"Will he do that?" Tristan did not sound convinced.

"I believe he will, if we can choose our words carefully," I said. "I cannot lie to him, but neither do I wish to disclose the whole truth until I know we are safe. I have something he wants; primarily to see me married, but he also wishes to know the identity of my beloved. He has something I want; the ability to override the law by contractual agreement, which must be signed of his own free will in the presence of two witnesses."

"You intend for us to work out a contractual agreement?" he asked.

"I do, Tristan. It needs to be watertight. We both have knowledge of the legal system and I believe that together we can make this work."

"We will make it work," he smiled.

The rest of Sunday was spent attending to Sebastian, bringing Katherine additional food, or working out a contract that I could present to my father. Much as I wanted to be there for Sebastian, with Katherine's trial just over a week away, I had limited time to secure our future. Besides, Annabelle was doing an amazing job at looking after his needs and I knew I could trust her.

On Sunday evening I thanked Tristan for his help as we went to find my father, apprehensive about how this would play out. We found him in his study, with my mother, which was ideal because I needed a second witness. I stood in the doorway with Tristan.

"Father, could I possibly have the attention of you and mother for the next hour or so?"

"Actually, it is well timed, Richard," replied the King. "Come in."