Chapter 14 - The Birthday

Warning: This chapter contains scenes of a sexual nature. Reader discretion is advised.

The following evening, I knocked on Richard's door at seven o'clock as usual. I had not seen him all day as he had been spending it with his family, so when I entered, I wished him "Happy Birthday," sincerely this time. He thanked me just as sincerely and gestured for me to sit with him. As I did so, I placed the tied green handkerchief on the table.

"What is this?" Richard asked, a grin spreading across his features and his eyes sparkling.

"A gift," I smiled back, although my stomach was starting to tie itself in knots over whether this had been a good idea.

"Thank you," he said, untying the handkerchief and finding the small wooden deer inside. He turned it over in his hands. "I have never seen such a pretty ornament. Where did you get it?"

"I made it," I told him.

He looked genuinely surprised.

"You made this?" he asked. "It's beautiful Sebastian. I love it. You are more talented than I realised." He paused. "I think this should go where I will see it every day."

I felt a blush washing over me, as he positioned the deer on the mantlepiece above his hearth next to an ornately carved clock, but he continued talking anyway.

"Talking of your talents, there is something I would like to request of you tonight," he said, turning and walking back towards me with a lopsided smile and a raised brow. "Something I have wanted for a long time."

I was not entirely sure what his intentions were, but given his past behaviour and his facial expression, I took an educated guess.

"I have already made it quite clear where the boundaries are, Richard," I replied, standing up defensively as he came closer.

Richard laughed.

"I was not thinking about that, but I am exceptionally pleased to find out that you were." His eyes drifted slowly down towards my feet and back up again, which gave me goosebumps that I tried to ignore. He took a minute to compose himself. "I was actually hoping to hear you play your flute, since I have not had the pleasure yet."

"My flute?" I repeated, wanting to make sure I had heard him properly. I had not been expecting such a request. He just nodded. "Shall I fetch it now?" I asked.

"Assuming you would be comfortable playing it for me," he said.

And so, some five minutes later, I found myself playing for him. Tunes that I had learned before arriving at the castle, mixed with tunes that I had learned since I had taken residence here.

Richard enthused over my playing, and I was happy that he seemed to enjoy it. Eventually I took the flute back to my room and returned to Richard's.

"I am pleased I had the opportunity to hear you play," he said. "Thank you for obliging me."

"I like playing," I replied. "I don't have much call for an audience."

"Then we should do this more often," he suggested. "In the meantime, I have something for you."

Richard brought out two large slices of lemon cake, with a silver fork on the side of each plate. I recognised the yellow icing from the buffet of the previous day.

"I managed to pilfer these from the kitchen," he winked. "I suspect you did not get an opportunity to try the cake yesterday, and I wanted to share some with you."