Chapter 13 - The Rose

For the next couple of nights, I did not sleep well, concerned that Richard may openly display his affection for me in some way like he had done on our picnic. It turned out that my immediate fears were unfounded. Even when we were alone on the following two gaming evenings, he behaved himself.

Knowing that Richard's birthday was approaching, I arranged a day to visit my parents. My father had taught me woodwork as well as his trade in case I should ever need to fall back on the skill when times were difficult. My parents were delighted to see me, and my father allowed me access to all the tools I needed to work on Richard's birthday present. He also insisted on helping me with the more time-consuming parts so that I could get it finished that day.

The result was a small wooden deer, around four inches in height. Pleased with the result, I thanked my parents and rode back to the castle, just in time to join Annabelle for our evening meal.

After I washed and dressed for games with Richard, I took out a large pretty green handkerchief that I had bought from the market in Garrow. I put the wooden deer inside and tied it with string, tucking it into the back of my drawer to await Richard's birthday.

With everything in order, I walked the small distance up the corridor to Richard's room and knocked on his door.

"Come in," he called as he usually did.

I entered Richard's quarters to find that he was not at the gaming table as I expected him to be. Nor was he pouring wine. I scanned the room and saw movement coming from the bed. I cautiously navigated my way across the chamber to investigate.

I found Richard lying on the four-poster bed, his head propped up on one elbow with a red rose between his teeth.

"Richard, what are you doing?" I asked, confused.

He removed the rose from between his teeth with his free hand.

"Attempting to woo the one I love," he replied, putting it back again once he had finished speaking.

"By eating a flower?" I chuckled as I looked at him sceptically.

He removed the bloom again to reply.

"It's romantic," he stated, and resumed his original position.

"It's ridiculous," I choked back another giggle and attempted to look more solemn.

He separated himself from the rose and sat up on the bed.

"Do you have no sense of romance?" he asked.

"Do you have no sense of self-preservation?" I shot back, still endeavouring to stifle a grin and conduct a serious demeanour, but to no avail.

Richard could see I was trying not to smile and leaped off the bed, landing less than a few inches from me. His amused face crept closer to mine.

"You enjoy my conduct. Admit it," he challenged. A shiver rolled down my spine.

"I will not," I replied.

Richard brought his face an inch closer to mine and my heart sped up.

"Because it is not the truth? Or because you are stubborn?" His gaze fell to my mouth before moving back to my eyes, and my groin involuntarily twitched with anticipation. I glanced at his lips in return. They were so close. It was taking every ounce of willpower I had not to kiss him. My pulse quickened and I could almost taste the static in the air. I looked back to his eyes.

I gathered my senses and turned, facing away from him completely. I did enjoy his playful nature, but I was not about to confess it to him.

"You ask too many questions," I remarked, and walked back towards the gaming table, sitting down in my usual chair when I reached it.