Chapter 27 - The Vacancy

It was just before midday when I caught up with Sebastian again. Luke may have been covering Sebastian's work, but that had not stopped Sebastian venturing back to the stables.

The four young men were sitting on hay bales and engaged in conversation with Sebastian when I stepped into the stalls. When they realised I was there, all of them except Sebastian stood to attention and offered a courteous bow.

"Please, don't get up," I ventured but I was too late. "I would just like a word with Sebastian, if he can be spared?"

"Of course, Your Highness," Sebastian replied, and we departed the stable area, walking around a nearby corner and out of sight.

"You have not told them yet, then?" I observed, noting the formal way he addressed me in their presence.

Sebastian shook his head.

"Have you considered telling them?" I suggested. "Are you ready for that?"

"I have considered it," he said. "And I will tell them. It will be public knowledge soon anyway. But I would like Annabelle to be the first to know."

"It is lunchtime shortly," I observed, knowing they frequently ate together. "Would you like us to tell her now? I can join you if you like?"

Sebastian inhaled deeply and nodded.

"Now is perfect," he replied, and we walked towards the kitchens.

"How did you find my mother?" I asked as we walked.

"She is most charming," Sebastian replied, smiling. It was difficult not to like my mother. "And more accommodating than I anticipated. She is planning for me to join your family for dinner soon."

That sounded like mother.

"Your father seemed less enthusiastic," Sebastian noted.

"He just does not understand us yet," I sighed. "But I am hopeful that he will, given time."

We could see Annabelle walking in the direction of the kitchen for lunch and adjusted our course so that we would intercept her. Once we were within hearing range, Sebastian called her over. She curtseyed politely when she reached us, and I winced internally at the formality, but nodded in greeting.

"Annabelle," said Sebastian. "I have news. I must tell you that it has been necessary to disclose details of my illegitimate affair to the King and Queen."

Annabelle's face fell, and I could see in her expression that she felt partly responsible for revealing the details that she knew about to me.

"Illegitimate? Oh, Sebastian." It seemed she had not realised the criminal nature of Sebastian's activities. She turned to look at me accusingly. "So, after everything that has happened, you intend to arrest Sebastian?"

"No," I smiled at her. "I intend to marry Sebastian."

"Excuse me?" she squeaked. The shock on her face was evident.

"Richard is my lover, Annabelle," Sebastian clarified. "I wanted to tell you before you found out from another."

Annabelle looked to Sebastian and then back to me.

"You are Sebastian's lover?" she asked slowly.

"It is true," I acknowledged. "I am the lover you informed me about when Sebastian lay poisoned."

"You told him I had a lover?" Sebastian asked Annabelle disbelievingly.

"I fail to see why this causes you consternation," I said to Sebastian before Annabelle could answer. "I already knew exactly what was going on in your private life."