Chapter 25 - The Decision

I was awake early on Monday morning and went straight to Sebastian's room. Annabelle had agreed to bring breakfast to us when she could, so for now, I could just concentrate on the angel asleep before me.

Some colour had returned to his cheeks and his breathing was closer to normal than it had been. While nobody else was around, I took the opportunity to gently run my fingers through his golden locks.

Around an hour later, Sebastian started to stir, and very slowly his lashes fluttered open. Pleased to see that his pretty hazel eyes were no longer bloodshot and were somewhat more focused, it was easier to offer him a genuine smile.

"Sebastian," I said gently as his gaze found me.

"Richard," he managed weakly. He started looking around the room to gather his bearings, and relief flooded through me at his apparent awareness. My fingers continued running through his hair as he looked back towards me.

"Can I get you some water?" I offered. He nodded his acceptance and I fetched him a mug. I helped him sit comfortably and steadied his hand as he drank.

"You look a lot better than you did," I remarked. "How are you feeling?"

"Confused," he answered after a few seconds.

"I can understand that," I replied. "You consumed a fair amount of poison. I would imagine it will take some time to fully recover."

"Poison?" Sebastian asked, still looking a little bewildered.

"Lady Madeleine's handmaiden, Katherine, has confessed she poisoned you," I explained, hoping it might jog his memory. "A local apothecary was able to give you something to help you recover. But what I do not understand is how she convinced you to drink it."

"The brown bottle?" said Sebastian. "She told me it was a cure that would enable me to fall in love with women. That I would no longer have feelings for men. She told me that if I refused to drink it, she would expose our relationship."

That would certainly explain it.

"And you believed her, of course," I sighed. "Sebastian, not everyone in this world is as honourable as you." I was relieved that he had confirmed that he had no intention of taking his own life, but also frustrated that Katherine would be so act in such a despicable manner.

"There is no cure for us," I continued. "This is not a disease; it is part of who we are. It sounds as though she was trying to poison your mind as well as your body."

Sebastian suddenly looked panicked.

"Richard," he said urgently. "Katherine. She knows about us."

"I know," I assured him.

"She will expose us," he pressed.

"Her trial is a few days away," I told him. "And she has acknowledged that she will tell everyone what she knows about us, unless I free her and marry Madeleine."

Sebastian's shock was evident.

"Will you do it?" he asked anxiously.

"Well, that depends on you, Sebastian," I started cautiously. He seemed clearheaded enough to be having this conversation, so I continued speaking. "Ideally, this is not how I would have chosen to do this. But life is far from ideal and we have less than a week before Katherine will surely betray us. You must know that I do not want to marry Madeleine, and so I would like to propose an alternative."

Sebastian looked stunned as I bent down on one knee beside the bed and took his hand in mine.

"Sebastian, my father has agreed to allow me to marry for love," I explained. "And I choose you. If you will have me, that is. So, I am asking you, formally, whether you would do me such an honour."