Chapter 3 - The Offer

"I have requested your presence today for an explicit purpose," said Prince Richard, his expression full of resolve. "I have a specific task in mind for a person with the appropriate qualities. This person must be as honest in actions as he is in words, for integrity is everything to me. He must be true and fair, work hard and be loyal to me while also speaking freely. I ask a lot, but I think I may have found him."

It took me a few seconds to keep up with the conversation.

"Me?" I asked, flushing slightly.

"You, Sebastian."

Something occurred to me then, and if this man valued me speaking openly, then I knew I should do so now.

"The game," I started slowly. "You let me win. It was some kind of test."

"Indeed. The strategy I spoke of did not lie in the rules of the game, but in the rules of social construct and whether you were willing to challenge them. I needed to know whether you were honest enough to agree to take the winning move and act on your promise, even though I am a prince and you are a squire to another. I am delighted you chose to play fairly, because if I am going to win, I want it to be because I deserve it, and not because of some social hierarchy. I want someone to challenge me, not to bow to my every whim. I am pleased you have integrity enough to do as you agreed and play to the best of your ability." The prince stood up and continued talking. "And so, I would like to make you an offer. Please hear it in full before making a decision."

"Of course."

"My offer is for you to work for me. We would review whether the arrangement is working after about three months. In the meantime, I will loan Sir Tristan a squire so that he is not without, and so that you can return to him if you wish. Officially you would be my squire, but it will not always be the work you have been used to. Taking care of the horses and cleaning equipment, I will gladly pay you for, but there may be ad hoc tasks where I would call upon you as well. I would prefer to call you something like a 'personal attendant.' Some things I ask of you may be a little ... unconventional."

"I already understand you are somewhat unconventional, Your Highness. A very generous offer, which I promise to consider in earnest."

"Which brings us to another point. When we are in company, titles and such are forgiven, and I trust you to exercise them appropriately. But when we are alone, please address me as Richard. I cannot bear the royal titles. I have a name, and I prefer it to be used."

"Just Richard?"

"Please."

This was getting more bizarre with every turn.

"This is everything I need to think on?" I asked.

"Not quite. I will pay you for the work you do during the day. The evenings are yours, unless there is some circumstance or special occasion where we are called upon to attend. In the evenings, then, you would have the option to meet me for games such as that we have just played. I seek a regular opponent and would be glad if you would do this for me. But I will not demand it from you, nor will I pay you for it. For the purposes of our games, then, I would view you as my equal and I would request you do the same. This way I know you will play fair and emerge victorious if you can. Lastly, during your employment, you must be true and honest with me, and I would also promise the same to you, with never a lie to come between us."

A cold shiver ran through me. Although the prince's offer was appealing, a pledge of unconditional honesty seemed unwise when I carried such a dark secret. Sir Tristan had not made such a request of me and I was keen to understand the reason Richard would add such a requirement to his offer.