Epilogue

Warning: This chapter contains a homophobic character. Reader discretion is advised.

"Sebastian, please keep still!" Annabelle barked at me as she ran the comb through my mousey blonde hair.

I was trying, but I was finding it problematic. Today I was marrying Prince Richard, and I was nervous. Outside, the May sunshine highlighted the vibrant colours of the flowers in the castle gardens. It had been a year since King Harold had agreed to this wedding. Richard said he would have married me the day he proposed if he could, but thought it was a good idea to give people time to get used to the idea. Not least his father.

And it had taken time, but King Harold seemed more comfortable now with the idea of our marriage, although I suspected Eloise may have had some involvement. Despite his normal appetite for large and extravagant affairs, he seemed glad that we wanted something more relaxed and personal for this occasion. Perhaps this was an indication that he was not completely comfortable with us yet, but at least he was trying, and that was all we could ask for.

Richard had been with me when I broke the news of my engagement to my own parents. We had travelled to Thain together specifically for the purpose of informing them. When we had first arrived, they had been pleased to see me, but understandably surprised that I was accompanied by the prince who had employed me.

It had not been clear whether they had been more astounded that I was engaged to marry a member of the royal family or that I was in love with a man. But while they had been shocked, it had not seemed to be in an entirely disagreeable way, and we had spent the afternoon pleasantly, if a little awkwardly, in their company. Twelve months and several visits later, and they had adjusted well to the situation. I was looking forward to seeing them later.

Then there were some that had reacted less positively. I had informed Aaron, Paul and Luke while we were perched upon bales of hay in the stables. Aaron had laughed, assuming I had been playing a prank. Luke had given his brother a confused look, but Paul had just stared at me disbelievingly. Aaron's laughter had died out when he realised nobody else was amused.

"That was a joke, of course?" he had asked, clearly confused.

His face had turned stormy when I had shaken my head to indicate that I was being serious. He had then leaped down from his hay bale, and exited the stables, spitting towards me in disgust as he did so.

I had watched him leave without reacting, nor had I spoken after his departure. I had fiddled with a piece of hay between my fingers in order to give me a reason not to look directly at the two remaining young men.

Paul had restarted the conversation, saying that he had recognised that the prince and I were close, but had not realised the extent to which that stretched. He had asked many questions, which I had answered to the best of my ability. The result was a tentative congratulations, with Luke following his brother's lead.

After that, I had helped in the stables periodically, despite it officially not being part of my job anymore. Paul and Luke had gradually become more accepting, but Aaron usually disappeared as soon as he caught a glimpse of me. Paul had said that Aaron just needed time to get used to it, but I was not convinced. I was unhappy about losing a friendship over the situation but accepted that the decision was his.

The people living in the surrounding area had been broadly accepting of us. Richard had always been the most popular of his siblings regarding the public. His outgoing personality and friendly nature won most people over, and so he had already been in a good position to make an announcement like this.