Phoebe

The boy folded each letter carefully and slid them into individual envelopes. He sealed each one with a scrunched up face. His tongue never did adore the waxy taste underneath the thin paper.

But he licked it anyway because he was trying to be an adult about this. And adults didn't blot the yellow lining with drops of water to seal their business shut.

All ten letters laid on his desk.
All numbered and in order.

The boy wanted to close his eyes. For it pained him to look at these things. His first real friendship, all wrapped up and ready to be sent away.

Samuel wasn't prepared for the piece of him that'd be lost as soon as they were gone.

He often wished he didn't care about these things. He often wished that his heart would simply stop caring. But that would never happen. Samuel knew this for himself.

Because Samuel cared. Samuel would always care about everything until it hurt far too much.

Samuel wasn't good at ending feelings.

But he was good at ending relationships.

Samuel placed the envelopes into the much bigger one and placed the stamp on top. His messy handwriting wrote out the address that he knew better than his own. With tears in his eyes he kissed the wet ink, and slipped in the cut friendship bracelet.

"Goodbye, Bee."

The boy closed the flap and set to writing the next set of letters.

🦋

Vote and/or Comment if you enjoyed this part!

🦋