Final Words

Hello my cuties! Welcome to the end of the story. You made it!

Go ahead and pat yourself on the back because this book might've been a little brutal in the beginning 👀😅

Below are gonna be little explanations I wanted to give. Some insight into the thought process of what into the creation of this story and whatnot. Hopefully things all come together for you!

Firstly, you may be wondering why I didn't include too many solid physical descriptions for the characters. Sure, we know Stella is part Chinese. Oscar and Selene are Hispanic and Bronte is of Italian descent. I mentioned eye colors and hair a few times. Maybe some body shapes as well.

But nothing too concrete like one would in a traditional novel.

Why?

Because I didn't want to paint too clear a picture of what these people were to Samuel and Stella. Honestly speaking, we all have an Oscar in our lives. Maybe not in this exact context, but I'm sure you know one. Oscar is the person that's too afraid to step out of the cultural norm for fear of rejection. Oscar is the type of person that doesn't want to lose tradition and family so they keep who they are hidden away. You know Oscar. You could be Oscar.

So despite his clear Hispanic roots, Oscar is however you see him as. Whether it be your Oscar in real life or the fish from Sharktales. Oscar is whatever face you choose for him to wear.

Every character in here is whoever you see them as. We all know or once knew a Blake or a Bronte. A Dove or a Kai.

So, you see? These characters are whoever you make them out to be. Only you can decide their true identities.

On another note, I want to make it clear that almost every character in this book is grey. Not one of them is entirely good or entirely bad. Even Stella has some major flaws that you might've been blind to because you were constantly on her side. No worries though, I set it up that way ;)

Yes, homophobic slurs were used. Yes, some people even tried to take Stella away. Was that right of them to do? Hell no. But is it understandable? Absolutely.

Take Phoebe for example. How many of you said horrible things during middle and high school that you wished you never had? How many of you knew people that did so too? And out of all those people, how many do you think grew up and learned the errors of their ways? How many do you think changed as they got older? Because yes, now they were wiser. Now they did know better.

Was it right for Phoebe to say those things to Samuel? Absolutely not. But when you consider her physical, emotional, and mental age, you can see why she'd lash out so irrationally. You can understand why she'd behave so stupidly even towards the person who meant the world to her. She wasn't that same person when she was with Blake. She wasn't that same person after leaving high school.

She changed.

Oscar's culture trapped him. Selene's family loyalty blinded her. Bronte was ignorant to her religion.

You see where I'm going with this?

Look at every character in this book objectively and you'll see it too. They're grey. Every single one of them are grey.

(EXCEPT FOR QUILL AND POSSIBLY MARK. FUCK THEM)

Why?

Because they're human. Being grey is what it means to be human. Even the darkest soul can have a drop of light. Even the purest person can have the darkest mind.

We're human and we're not perfect and we make mistakes.

Period.

Secondly, this story grows up with Samuel until he transitions to Stella.