Kai

"Hello?"

Stella smiled at the sound of Kai's soft voice and said, "Hey! You're still coming tonight, right?"

Kai hummed into the call and she held her breath. He had said he would come. But, the thing with Kai was that he was always a little cautious about making plans in advance. Sometimes he'd agree and then disappear when the moment finally arrived to show up. Other time's he'd say no and simply never come.

Stella used to hate inviting him places for those very two reasons.

But then she realized why he did those things and now she never stopped inviting him out.

Kai had the silliest of notions that by keeping everyone at an arm's length, he could never get hurt again. Stella disagreed. 

No matter how damaged or introverted, we all need someone to keep close to our hearts. Because if not for that one person, how would we know that we're truly loved when we face our darkest moments?

We wouldn't. Therefore, we need them.

Kai needs someone.

Stella decided that someone would be her until she found a nice girl worthy of her cautious Deer.

"Kai," she whined. "I think Jin's going to propose to me tonight! You have to be there. What'll my future children think when they find out their favorite uncle wasn't present for their parents engagement?"

"Why would I be their favorite?" Stella's heart grew pained at those six simple words. If there was one person Stella knew that truly struggled with self esteem issues, it was Kai. Years of his father telling him he'd never be good enough had done its damage and it was lasting.

"Why wouldn't you be their favorite?" Stella scoffed. "You're tall and big so they can climb you like a jungle gym. Kids love you because you let them do whatever they want to you. And, you think I don't remember all the sweets you snuck for the kids at the shelter? You're perfect favorite uncle material."

You're perfect family material, she thought to herself.

Kai chuckled at her statement and she finished sealing up his letters. Stella could imagine the light pink that dusted his cheeks whenever he was flustered. The way he'd cover his mouth with his hand to hide his megawatt smile.

"So," she continued. "Are you coming?"

"Yeah," Kai sighed. "I, uh, I brought flowers for your mom. She still likes tulips, yeah?"

Ah, Kai and his memory. His mouth would always declare how much he didn't care. But his actions always proved otherwise.

"Yup!" Stella tugged at the bottom of her curled locks and asked, "How close are you?"

"Five minutes?"

"Ok, then I'll see you when you get here." Kai mumbled his agreement and Stella snuck in a quick, "I love you, Kai."

Stella realized how important it was to tell people how much you cared about them after losing Blake. There was a small part of her that wondered if Blake knew how much he was loved before deciding to leave. Her usual consensus was he probably didn't. For if he had, he would still be here.

Stella told everyone she loved just how much she loved them no matter what day, month, or absurd hour. She told them when they wanted to hear it and she told them even when they didn't want to hear it.

Stella loved Kai. Even if he wasn't ready to say it back or accept her heart, she loved-

"Love ya, Stel."

The line went dead, and with it the beating of Stella's heart. A light sheen of pure happiness swam over her eyes and she tilted her head back to keep them from falling. She didn't do all this makeup just to cry before getting that ring!

Love ya, Stel.

Sniffing, Stella smiled a smile that she hoped would last a lifetime. And she chuckled at the thought of what today was.

It was the end of Samuel. It was the start of a new beginning for Stella and Jin. It was the day of Feebs and her husband Noah being assured that their unborn child was well. It was the moment of something new for Dove and her accepting boyfriend Jake. It was the time Page continued their crusade against uneducated individuals. It was one of the million moments where Fleur made sure everything was perfect. It was the occasion Dean would miss because he was fighting to keep another pained youth alive.

These were the lives of all these people finally reaching a point where everything paid off. Because this present was worth all the heartbreak they had to endure. This today was worth all the people they lost along the way.

Stella smiled a smile she hoped would last a lifetime and wrote seven words within her last letter.

🦋

Vote and/or Comment if you enjoyed this part!

🦋