Meant To Be

Chapter 24: Meant To Be

-bex p.o.v.-

I was sitting in the kitchen the next morning, admiring the ring on my finger when someone came up behind me.

"So, the bracelet, huh?"

I smiled at James, "I don't know what you're talking about."

He rolled his eyes, "don't pretend to be innocent, I know what you did."

I shrugged, "I didn't want it, and you did. There's nothing wrong with what I did."

"You're right, there's nothing wrong, just own up to it." He narrowed his eyes at me, "I want to hear you say that you did something nice for me."

I rolled my eyes, "alright James. I did something nice for you. I transformed my old bracelet into a new one for you."

James grinned, "I always knew I was your favorite cousin."

"James, you're my only cousin."

"Less competition."

"Look at you two," a voice interrupted us, "finally getting along." Aunt Eleanor stood in the doorway, Uncle Charlus' arms around her, grinning at us.

We shared a look, shrugging at the same time. Somehow, we had grown so fond of eachother, so used to eachother, over the years that we could hold a conversation just by sending looks towards one another. James and I were truly becoming family. And it was nice, being able to rely on someone, being able to trust them with all of your heart just because you know they would never turn their back on you.

Blood might not necessarily mean family, but James was blood. James was family.  He was trying, he was adapting to the lifestyle of having me as family. And I knew that wasn't easy. I had to hand it to him, he was doing a pretty good job.

Uncle Charlus rolled his eyes, humor sparkling in the hazel, "a pair of troublemakers, that's what the two of you are. What are you doing up so early, anyways?"

"Couldn't sleep," James and I spoke at the same time. We shared another grin.

"Weren't causing any trouble, were you?" Aunt Eleanor raised an eyebrow at us, her gaze examining us in a way only a mother could. When she seemed to realize we hadn't done anything wrong, she smiled softly.

"Causing trouble?" Sirius stepped around them and into the room, "they wouldn't be causing any mischief without me."

"See, mum? Sirius is the one you need to watch out for. Bex and I were doing great, being normal; throwing Sirius into the mix is a recipe for disaster."

Sirius hit James' shoulder playfully, the two boys acting like brothers.

And that's when I knew.  I was meant to be with this family. It was inevitable, one way or another, I was meant to be a Potter. Whether it be by blood; through befriending James; or dating Sirius. I was meant to be a Potter.

My shoulders felt lighter, having come to this realization, and I knew that no matter what, I'd have a family. And maybe family was all I needed in that moment. Regardless of what was to come in the future, I was happy in that moment. And that's all that mattered to me.

-

I was laying out in the grass. I had been for an hour or so already. It was calm and quiet and rather peaceful. It was a change from the loud, obnoxious boys I had been surrounded with for the past weeks. But it was a nice change. One that I'd like to have every once in a while.

The stars had yet to reveal themself. Here I was; waiting, watching, wondering. And they would not come to visit me. The sun had sank a little bit ago, playing an awful game of hide and seek, peeking through the branches of trees every once in a while, before finally disappearing from view. The moon had come out to play in the sun's place, yet no stars had come out.

As if taunting me, the moon twinkled, glinting across the sky. I narrowed my eyes at it, noticing the blimishes on its' surface. I could just barely make out craters and jagged edges. The imperfectness of the moon seemed to only make it more perfect in my eyes. How each dip and sharp line told a different story.

It reminded me of scars. Maybe the crater I was seeing was from an astroid crashing into it. And that bumpy edge, maybe a comet had slammed into it centuries ago.

It really made you think, staring at the sky. It made everything seem like a minuscule problem in the eyes of the world. Maybe that was the key to life. That was the strangest thing; how just looking at the sky could prompt questions and thoughts on the universe and how everything worked.

And somehow, without noticing, the stars began to come out. Also without my noticing, Sirius Black invaded my thoughts. I wasn't sure how he got there, or how long he had been there, all I knew is that one moment I was thinking about the deepest secrets of the universe and the next I was pondering over the exact shade of grey his eyes were.

Sirius, as cheesy as it sounded, had somehow become a star in my mind. You couldn't see him in the sunlight, sometimes not even at night, but you knew that he resided there; knew that he would be there again when the sky became dark and the clouds parted.

Pretty soon, my mind wandered to the exact moment of when I fell in love with him. I had always regarded him as a friend, sometimes even an enemy, until I started to love him. When? I didn't even know. But it had happened, and there was no stopping the rush of feelings I got when I was around him.

Perhaps if I hadn't said yes I would have been able to stop myself. I could have  fallen in love with someone else, or maybe never have truly known what love was like. But now that I had allowed it to happen, now that I had allowed him into my heart, I knew I would never be able to stay away.

It was too late; I loved him. And I was selfish. I put my own needs before other's, and maybe that was brave of me. But maybe it was foolish of me. All the same, I knew that he was stuck with me. From now until forever, he would have to be stuck with me.

With one last look up at the stars, I went inside.

-----------------------------

Hello. I don't even have a proper excuse. I just keep forgetting to update. Sorry. Someone should really take up the job of bothering me until I update; it would actually be a great help. I've had half of this update written since January 25th, I just kept forgetting to finish it.

Anyways, I hope you all liked it and hopefully it was worth the wait. Probably not. But hey, a girl can dream lol.

You can comment, vote, share, fan, and follow and all that jazz. Plus, feel free to bother me about another update. Because if you don't, I will likely forget.

Thank you.

P.S. I love you all very much, like seriously, you guys are the best, please don't be sad/angry with me when I say this, but all of the comments and stuff are getting a bit out of hand. I don't have the time to answer every single comment and that actually makes me very sad, because I love talking with you guys. But it's getting hard because too many are coming through and I can't look at all of them. Something has happened with the wattpad server in regards to the email notifications and it won't send me all of them because there are becoming too many to send at a given moment.

So currently, the only way to solve that problem is to turn off the notification that sends me an email when people comment on my stories. And as much as I hate to do that, I have to.

Please don't feel like you have to stop commenting and stuff, please, feel free to comment as much as you want to. What I'm going to do is turn off the notification and after I upload a new chapter, I will go back to the previous chapter and reply to comments then. So instead of being sent emails, I will manually have to go through the chapter and reply. This means, if you comment on a chapter in the second book, I won't be able to see it unless I manually go back to that chapter and look at it, but I won't know to do that because I won't be receiving the notifications, so I will likely not see it.

If you feel as if you can't wait until I go back through the chapter to get a reply (or you want to comment on something you know I will not see), feel free to PM me or comment on my message board. I will reply as soon as possible.

Sorry once more, I've already sent a complaint to wattpad and hopefully they will have it fixed soon. Thank you for understanding.

Much love xx