[AU] Not so good with kids

Dallas held up Riley; his light blond, almost white hair shined under the blazing sun, "Hey, Riley. It's me Uncle Dally."

Riley began to throw a tantrum, kicking his legs in every direction.

" Oh dear. You're scaring him, Dallas. " I grabbed my son, who stopped bawling.

" The hell, man. I couldn't even say hi to him without him crying. "

" Don't worry, Dal. He isn't used to you, yet. "

Dallas grabbed a cigarette before putting it away, " Can't smoke in front of the kid, right? "

I smiled, " Right. "

He looked at me cautiously, " So uh... how's he doing? "

" You mean, Sodapop? He died in the war, 'bout two years ago. "

" You're kidding. "

I shifted the position I was holding Riley in, " I wish I was, Dal. "

An awkward silence filled the autumn air, the only sound was that of the wind whispering through our ears.

" Don't cry. "

I chuckled, " Dal, I'm not crying, I can take care of myself. "

" I said, don't cry. "

I looked over at Riley, who fell asleep, " Riley isn't crying, Dal."

Glancing towards Dallas, a soft gasp escaped from my lips, Dallas' eyes were shining under the bright sunlight as if he were about to cry.

" Don't cry, Dal. You're a man of steel not feels. " I held my free hand in the air, laughing as I formed it into a fist, shaking it.

" Heh. You're right, you're right. I should help you out. "

" Dal, please. You know how I feel about that."

He pulled out his wallet, " Take this. I may hate kids, but not your kid. "

Dallas handed me a twenty dollar bill, " I don't know, Dal. "

" I'm not asking you if you want it or not, I'm giving it to you. Think of it as me paying you back for all the shit I did to you. "

Accepting the money, Riley's face nestled onto my neck, looking for some comfort while sleeping,

" Dal, I don't know how to thank you for this...."

He approached me, his lips pecking my forehead, " This is good for now, sweet cheeks. "