CHAPTER 23: Kamille

I was feeling grateful deep down about us being able to stay at Cassidy and Mr. Denton's place for a while to be safe from Ashton but I couldn't help but have a gut-feeling that it wouldn't be the safest at all.

It didn't take us long to pack our things and we ended up having to email all our employees and let them know we needed to shutdown the businesses until we had returned for 'rennovation' purposes with full pay to them of course.

Then we began heading towards the house which happened to be in a state over from us but it took nearly the rest of the night and most of the next early afternoon to arrive.

The place wasn't at all what I had expected and in fact, made me feel less than secure if anything.

The place was a two-story logged cabin in the mountains that you normally would rent out for a skiing trip or something.  It  was a couple miles away from town and there were no neighbors close by really and all I could really think about was how this might all end like a horror movie.

Once we got inside, the kids were well rested and had a lot of energy they had had held in throughout the entire drive that they began running around the place.

I tried running after them but thankfully Nate went to get them real quick then as soon as he came back, we saw two older men come walking out. One of them we recognized right away as Denton and the other one was who I assumed was Cassidy's and Ashton's father. He definitely looked like Ashton.

They both walked into the room and greeted us all with a smile.

"Welcome." Mr. Denton greets us.

"Mr. Denton, please explain to us how this is going to work exactly." Larkin asks.

"We have come up with a few ideas. However, we really don't want any of you guys to worry about Ashton coming here. He doesn't know about this place". Mr. Denton tried to reassure us but to be honest, I don't feel too convinced.

"By the way, I'm Vick. I'm as I'm sure you've figured out, I'm Cassidy's and Ashton's father." He holds out his hand.

Just so I'm not rude or anything, I shake his hand. Then Larkin follows behind me.

"Well, why don't I start grilling us up some burgers and hot dogs and we can talk some more." Denton mentions.

I look at Larkin and Kylie then we agree to do that because frankly, I know the kids are hungry and I too am starving.

After putting away our bags and things into the room both Larkin and I will be staying in, along with the kids room that is connected right to ours, I next started to head back downstairs for dinner.

We sat around the table and at first for a little bit things were a bit awkward until Vick started mentioning about when he was a kid.

It was random but we all couldn't stop laughing at some of the things he would tell us in especially when him and Mr. Denton were little and how they met.

It almost seemed as if we were having a nice little family dinner in some weird twisted way.

Once we were all done with eating and after we had tucked the kids into bed and let them watch cartoons before falling asleep in their room, Larkin and I went back downstairs to join Mr. Denton, Vick, Cassidy, Nate and Kylie in the 'office' of the cabin where we started to talk.

"Before we start, I need to know something." I began. "I need to make sure that there is in no way a possibility Ashton or his friends or whoever he works for can find us here?! Because our kids, I just can't help but have a gut feeling this still isn't as secure or safe for them in particular to be here." I express.

It seems that made everybody have a look of empathy and apologetic looks. Then I felt Larkin's hand on mine.

"I understand. I wish I could convince you they will be safe but, I also understand why you find it hard to believe that coming from me especially, right now." Mr. Denton replies.

"I just can't help but be more protective than anything. It isn't fair they are a part of this. I already have to worry about them remembering this moment or these moments that are yet to come. I just need to know." I say while fighting back tears.

"Well, we have come up with a plan." Vick starts. "You see, we have already made arrangements to have Cassidy and Kylie to take your guys' kids and watch them in a secret location in Italy for you and Larkin until this whole thing is over."

"What? A secret location in Italy?" I ask to make sure I heard correctly.

"I know what you're thinking but trust us, nobody knows about this place. In fact, it's truly hard for anybody to find it." He tries to assure me.

"Well, if they're going then I want to go with them too." I mention.

"I'm sorry but we need you. As well as Larkin and hopefully Nate here can help as well." He says.

I take a few moments to think about the offer and excuse myself for a moment to try and think about the so called plan.

I don't like it to be honest. I mean, of course I trust Cassidy and Kylie but, my babies.....

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)