Is a cop allowed to lie?

Emma left to find the Zimmermans' father while I and Henry were supposed to keep them company. I excused myself to freshen up and went upstairs. I took the eyeliner from my jacket and placed it on my desk, smirking at it. I chuckled and went to get a shower.

After showering, I went downstairs to play with the kids. Now, most people might say that I was too old to "play", but, I don't care. I am a kid, and I am staying a kid. I don't give a crap about anyone's opinions. Being a human kid is way more fun than being an elf kid. Especially if that elf kid is treated like garbage by everyone around them.

So, I sat down and played Ludo with Henry, Ava, and Nicholas. It was quite fun until Mary Margaret picked up her cell phone when it started ringing. She talked for a moment and even though she tried to hide the crestfallen look on her face, I saw right through it. She started moving to the door.

"Hey guys, keep playing alright? I'll be back in a sec", I said and followed Mary Margaret. She didn't protest.

"What's wrong?", I asked her.

"Don't know. It was Emma. She said to meet her outside"

Emma was waiting outside. "He doesn't want the kids.", she said.

"And you don't want to tell them.", Mary Margaret said.

"I can't. Because all I'll be telling them is that false hope I gave them is exactly that."

"The truth can be painful, Emma, but it can also be cathartic."

"I agree on the painful part."

" Hey, look, you told Henry the truth that his father is dead and he's handling it great."

"I didn't tell him the truth."

"What?"

"Henry's father was no hero and trust me, he does not need to know the real story. "

I had stayed quiet up until that moment, giving the adults some space. But I spoke up, "Wait, you lied to Henry about his father being a fireman?" Henry was really excited when Emma told him that his dad was a great hero who died saving a family from a fire.

Emma nodded gravely. "It's way better this way. Maybe we can hide the kids, just until we can find a family for them, someone to take care of them."

"Yes, hiding a twelve-year-old is a good plan?", Mary Margaret countered.

"You have a better idea?"

" Emma, maybe there isn't an idea, maybe you just have to..", she trailed off.

Regina came up from behind us suddenly and asked, "Sheriff, shouldn't you be on the interstate?"

"What are you doing here?", Emma asked her, surprised.

"Seeing to it that you do your job."

"You know that you don't need to check up on me. I know what I have to do."

"Really? Because those kids are supposed to be in Boston tonight.", Regina said, walking away.

"Boston?", I asked Emma.

"Regina's putting them in the system. She told me to take them there."

"But you can't do that!", I said. "They'll be separated for sure."

"Don't worry, I have a plan. A final plan."

***

I didn't want to see Emma taking them away, so I said my goodbyes in the apartment quickly. I hugged them both and whispered to stay strong. I had no idea if they would find their father or not, but I really hoped they would.

I went upstairs after Emma left with the twins and Henry. Mary Margaret went to do laundry. I sulked my way upstairs; I knew the pain of being away from family. I went and laid on my bed, staring at the ceiling. From the corner of my eyes, I saw a piece of paper on my desk. Right where I had kept the little bottle of eyeliner.

I went and picked the piece of paper and read it.

'"Dean-o" was here.'

I chuckled. "Idiot".

***

I went downstairs as soon as I heard the front door open and shut, signaling someone's arrival. I wanted to see if it was Emma, to ask her if she succeeded with her plan.

I saw her enter Mary Margaret's bedroom, who was folding laundry.

"What happened?", I asked her eagerly.

"Their dad, he showed up, changed his mind.", Emma replied, lying on the bed.

"Changed his mind? Just like that?"

"It might have had a little nudge."

"Awesome, Emma!", I exclaimed. she smiled at me.

"They found their father. That's great.", Mary Margaret said, smiling.

"I wonder what that would be like.", Emma said, pondering.

"Maybe you'll find out. You can't give up.", I said.

"I don't know. I kinda think giving up might be the best plan. I think I need to let go."

" No, you don't.", Mary Margaret said.

"Really? If they wanted to know me, they wouldn't make it so hard to look."

"Maybe. But maybe there are other reasons, maybe there's an explanation."

"There is something crazy, something even crazier than Henry's theory.", Emma asked skeptically.

"Yeah, what's Henry's theory?"

"Well, that her parents put her in a magical wardrobe, and sent her to this world to save them.", I said, chuckling.

"Ohhh, and who does he think they are?", Mary Margaret asked Emma.

"Well, for one, you."

" Me?" oooh, this is awesome.

"Well, Snow White. Apparently that book you gave him, not exactly the stories in the most traditional sense.", Emma said, smiling slightly.

"I have a kid. I'd think I remember that."

"Yeah, you'd think."

"You do kind of have my chin.", she said smiling.

"Nah, that chin is way too common. Even I have that.", I said, chuckling.

"Maybe you are my 'lost' kid", Emma said, joking. If only you knew.

I laughed nervously.

"I think I need to go get some air. I'm gonna go think.", she said, getting off the bed. She picked up a box, which had her iconic baby blanket. She had shown it to me a few days ago.

"If you're gonna be back late, we can wait to eat with you?", Mary Margaret asked.

"No, don't do that."

"I'll leave you leftovers.", she said, smiling."What a pretty blanket!", Mary Margaret said, looking at Emma's blanket.

"Thanks. Goodnight", Emma said, leaving.

Mary Margaret picked up the blanket, holding it close. She seemed lost in her thoughts, and I thought her memories were coming back to her. But she kept it down, moving to make some dinner.

I sighed and went to help her.

***