Chapter 17: Recaptured

*********
Mariam's POV

*******

I stood there, stunned. We all were talking and walking and didn't realize where we had ended up. I rolled my hands into fists as six cloaked men came into full view. Their faces were covered and I wondered how they were able to see through that thick, black cloak.

Adam took out a gun from under his black leather jacket and Yamato took out a dagger. Since when did Adam carry a gun?

One cloaked man stepped forward.

"Now... No need for bloodshed." His voice was low and rough. "We came in peace... To retrieve you." He addressed to Yamato and Adam. He seemed like the leader of the rest.

"More like recapture. Or re-kidnap." Adam retorted. He had his gun aimed right at the leader's head. "Let us go or I won't hesitate to shoot."

"How scary..." The leader cackled. With a swift move he kicked the side where Adam was hit by the car. Adam's legs buckled and he fell, gasping for air. His gun lay innocently by his side. Yamato tried to attack with his knife, but another cloaked man grabbed him and pinned him down with an experienced move.

"Are you crazy?!" Maymoona screamed. She backed up and held onto my shoulder for support. I gulped a mouthful of air. Adam was now laying on his front, and looked like a dead corpse. His eyes were half-way open and his breaths were shallow.

"Don't worry, girl. He's fine." The leader fumbled for Adam's collar and hauled him up. "Stand, kiddo. You'll need the strength to walk back." Adam's eyes looked faraway. I think he was unconscious. But when he struggled to stand, he was not.

"He's not in the situation to be standing..." I said in a small voice.

"Aye, shut it." The leader pushed Adam forward, and to my surprise Adam stood. He glared menacingly at the cloaked man.

"Now, I want you two girls' coming with us too. We were also ordered to take you with us." The leader ordered two other men to walk behind us. Me and Maymoona didn't protest.

They let Yamato get up and tied his hands with a rope. They weren't trusting him, I could see. Who were these people anyways? What did they mean by 'retrieve' or 're-kidnap'. Adam and Yamato were kidnapped? Did they escape or something? Was Ayame also kidnapped by the same people? And were Adam and Yamato related? Was Amina with these people?

I was still getting more questions in my head when the man behind me pushed me to get me going. Maymoona and I walked closely with each other behind Adam and Yamato. We went deep into the forest.

Was their hideout in this forest? No it couldn't be. People went into these forests. Government men, police officers, security guards, photographers, and nature-lovers. If their hideout were to be in this forest, they would be caught.

Half an hour went by.

We passed a stream. The water was rushing violently around the jagged rocks and pebbles. I didn't realize how thirsty I was. We've been talking and walking and running for the past hour and not a drop of water has reached my lips. But I discarded the idea to go take a sip from the stream as we had already passed it and there was no going back. And I was afraid to ask.

We didn't encounter a single soul and I really wished we did.

Everyone was quiet throughout the whole time. No one said a word. Even Maymoona didn't seem to whine.

My legs ached and I stumbled many times. Each time I did, I felt a stab of fingers behind my back. The cloaked men were still behind us.

"C-Can we stop...?" Maymoona finally said. The leader stopped suddenly and turned around to face us.