Chapter 34: Forbidden Love

[Bonus: The end of this chapter contains a fanfiction written by: MySeceretWorld
thank you for writing it! (It's for a competition, but I didn't get much entries yet so I'll leave it here. :3)]

"I'm a monster, and monsters don't save people."

~Adam

*****

Adam's POV

*****

"Get your supplies packed up and follow your driver to a van." Altai rushed the last of the crowd that early morning. Strolling out the door with my group, I let the scent of the cool air into my nostrils. It seemed to rouse me up since I had contagious yawns in the morning and so I guess I was sleep deprived.

I skipped down the marble steps in the direction of our black van. There weren't any cannibals in sight of our area so I supposed Immortia was waiting until the right time. Still, Immortia would've attacked by now and brought us back- I could sense something was clearly wrong.

I made it to our van in a few steps and unlocked the side door, plummeting my bag onto flooring of the vehicle. Slipping inside, I located myself by the window while Yamato seized the front passenger seat a few minutes later. Maymoona slithered in next to me trailed by Zoe, who was alarmed throughout the whole situation and hadn't said much. She was an eerie brat from the start who lost her parents to Immortia. He had abducted the family when she was around four and God knows why Immortia decided to spare her. Zoe was shaken up and inquired for her mother often, so she was brainwashed into making up some kind of imperceptible mom. The mom who happened to put me back on my bed when I fell from the stairs some days ago.

Altai carried in Donna and positioned her on the floor at the back. The rest of our group slipped into the seats where Donna was and Altai started the van. From there we left and went along our own way back to the town, passing more mansions and countryside cottages. The cannibals haven't reached until here so people should still be living in those homes.

"So are you sure we'll find a shelter somewhere? Somewhere were Immortia can't find us?" Maymoona perked up, vanishing the silence.

"Sure. Immortia would think we're hiding somewhere in the countryside and he'll search there. He wouldn't have a clue that we're actually in the middle of danger, aka the town." Altai answered as he drove. The sun was up now and we rode through broad daylight.

Craning my neck, I stole a peek behind our van to see the other vehicles following us from a distance away. They'll have to choose a new route soon though.

"Wouldn't it be hard to survive?" Maymoona complained, as usual. "Cannibals would be everywhere."

"Not exactly." Yamato looked back at us. "They're probably moving east now. The thing is, they'll be looking for more pure blood so they'll go towards Alberta. People there haven't been infected yet."

"Oh..." Maymoona utters. "Alright."

We journeyed in silence for most of the day, obviously making the dangerous trip extremely boring. I couldn't blame them as I sensed fear and panic in the unsettling van. We were all in the dark, not knowing what might hit us hard in the very next second.

***

I was on a hill, overlooking a vast ocean. The colour was a strong turquoise and it seemed to be filled with sparking stars. The air smelt of the salty waters, the wind brushed my bare skin. As beautiful as it seemed but I knew well. Glimpsing into the water, I perceived dark creatures- waiting for me to step into the warm liquid. The hill began to sink underneath the surface, and I went along with it.