Chapter 14: Bad Boys and Good Girls

*******

Adam's POV

**********

"Adam Yamato. Ayame's son." I said and studied Mariam's shocked face. It was just my luck to run into her in the bus as I was going to her home. It took me a long time to find out where she lived. I ran my hand through my hair again and waited for her to reply.

"I don't believe you." Her words made me choke on air.

"What?" I glared. "Why?"

"Anyone can go around claiming to be Ayame's son. You just want to work with me because of money, right?" She glared back twice as hard. I chuckled.

"Not for money. For revenge. Revenge is the right word." I paused there and waited for her to say something.

"Prove that you are Ayame's son." She backed another step.

"Is there any way I can do that?" I pulled my hood over my head, put my hands in my pocket and raised an eyebrow at her. She thought for a moment and I yawned purposely. It did irritate her.

"You were sent somewhere when your mother disappeared." She started. I was sent somewhere? "Where were you sent and how did you come out?" I stared blankly at her, not able to answer the question. No one told me where I was sent after my mom did disappear. I don't remember coming out. But that's not something that mental, maniac man would tell me. If I tell her this, she wouldn't believe me. I tried the right words to say. Mariam waited patiently.

"Damn it." I pinched the bridge of my nose. "I don't remember such a thing and no one told me. I'm speaking the truth, believe me or not. I don't really care." I shrugged and gave up. The girl wasn't going to let me work with her.

"Hold on. That was the answer."

I blinked at her. "What?"

"Yeah. No one knew that you were sent to the mosque and no one knew when you came out or who took you. I don't think anyone even knew Ayame had a son." Mariam looked at me. "How did you find out you were Ayame's son?"

I pursed my lips. I wasn't going to tell until she let me work with her. It was part of the information I held. "This would be classified until you let me work with you. My whole past is what you need to know to finish the investigation."

Mariam paced back and forth, deciding the answer. Surely she wouldn't decline now. The air became windy and I sighed deeply. She still hasn't answered and I was getting restless. Women have some trust issues.

"Alright." Mariam answered finally. "I'll let you in the investigation. You are not to tell anyone about our progress."

I nodded. "Gotcha. Anything else?"

"And it's also very dangerous." She narrowed her eyes. "We've dealt injuries during this investigation."

I smirked. "I've been dealing pain every day."

______________________________________________________________

*********

Mariam's POV

*********

I gave him my phone number but not my address because I still didn't trust him much. It did make him angry but he didn't say anything. I didn't know if he already knew where I lived. He also gave his phone number but not his address. So he shouldn't complain. I also studied him closely. Ayame was Japanese, and from seeing him, he did have Japanese genetic features in him. I guess his father wasn't Japanese though. He dressed black from head to toe, looking more like a thug. And he always had that look on him where he was 'ready to kill a man'. I didn't know if I was making a mistake of involving him in the investigation.