Epilogue

The whirring of the helicopter was so loud, we instantly woke up that dawn

The whirring of the helicopter was so loud, we instantly woke up that dawn. Me, Adam, and Altai waved our arms violently so it would spot us and it did. They landed shortly after and a military soldier hopped out and marched towards us.

"Who are you all?" He asked and we weren't sure if he was a threat as he held a machine gun.

"Survivors." Altai responded. "Survivors."

The military soldier nods and tells us to explain our stories later. "Come on, get into the helicopter."

"But the dead bodies." Adam looked back at the row of lifeless people.

"We can't carry them, sorry. Get in or you won't have another chance." The military soldier shook his head. The asylum was still blazing and we were told that they were able to detect the explosion from their headquarters.

Adam and I go back and say our goodbyes. Maymoona and Yusuf were swarming with flies and the stench was horrible. The entire situation was.

I turn around, crying and help Ayame then Amina get onto the helicopter.

"She's shot. We need medical attention for her." Altai informs.

"We'll get her a proper one." The military soldier nods. "Your turn. Get in."

Altai just shook his head. "I'm staying."

"You're what?" Me and Adam gape in shock.

"Someone needs to bury the bodies and..." Altai looks into the horizon. "I still have to find my family. My wife and child."

We argued with him. We weren't going to let him go at all but he insisted. He said the bodies should have proper burial and leaving Yusuf and Maymoona in that condition was not okay.

"I'll make a boat out of all these pieces. I'll come home to you as soon as I find my family." Altai hugs Adam then me. "I promise we'll meet again."

"Just don't die. Please." I take his hand. "Thank you for everything. Good luck."

"Good luck to you too. Both of you." He nods at Adam.

"Are you sure, mate?" The military soldier squints his eyes.

"Yes." Altai firmly nods.

"Well, the airport is where the refugees are. You find your family, get over there." The soldier salutes and we get into the helicopter. It soon flies into the sky and I peer down at the island to see Altai waving. I wave back until the island was just a dot in the ocean.

 I wave back until the island was just a dot in the ocean