Chapter 35: There's No Hero

I know it's been so long omg I'm extremely sorry for this inconvenience. *cries for eternity*

P.S This chapter is edited in a basic way. It will be edited thoroughly [in a descriptive manner] soon. Edited by @diveinallfun [Maymoona] AND NO SHE'S NOT THE MAYMOONA IN THIS STORY SORRY.

"There's no such thing as a hero. To survive, we'll need to make decisions that a hero can't.

~ Sir Immortia

*****

Mariam's POV

*****

I woke up to noises of hastiness and sharp whispers. It was dark and I couldn't see anything except for the window which let little slivers of moonlight in. Loud moaning rang my ears and the squeaky hinges of the door kept me away from going back to sleep.

I look around the room to see figures on the floor and someone coming in from the door.

"Hey, give her space." He hissed, shoving some people away lightly. I rub my eyes and finally came to my senses. We were in that abandoned house and I recalled Donna was sleeping beside me on the bed, but now she wasn't.

Someone stood up to turn off the lights when Yamato harshly whispered not to.

"What's happening?" I mumbled and got up from the bed.

"Donna's fever is getting high. We're trying to get the bullet out of her ankle." Yusuf explained as he put a wet cloth over her head. She was laying on the floor, shaking violently, moaning.

"Oh...the bullet I shot her with." I gulped, knowing the guilt caught me. It was my fault she was suffering.

"Don't sweat. You were trying to protect yourself. You didn't know if she could've hurt you." Yamato reassured me and I nodded solemnly.

Yusuf told everyone to back away and Alex left the room, probably going to sleep again. We waited for Donna to calm down, but she didn't.

"We'll need painkillers and some bandages. The cloth isn't going to help." Yusuf cursed as he tried to treat her. "And we've also run out of alcohol. We have to take the bullet out of her."

"It's dangerous. We don't have any advanced material and she'll lose a lot of blood." Altai replied.

"I know." Yusuf flashed a grim face. "The bullet is pressed into an artery. If we take it out, the blood will be released at such a fast rate. The only thing keeping her alive is that bullet."

"So we have to leave it in there?" Yamato raises an eyebrow.

"It has to be that way though she won't be able to walk. I'll need a needle to take out old blood so the infection doesn't get worse." Yamato puts a new cloth and wraps it around her ankle. "And then stitch it up."

"We don't have the materials." Someone spoke up and I saw it was Adam, who was in the corner.

"We need them."

"Then I'll head out with the van."

"N-" Yamato began to say, but I cut him off.

"I'm going with you."

"I'll go alone." Adam narrowed his eyes.

"You're going with me or not at all."

"None of you idiots are going." Yamato blocked the door.

"Yamato... She'll die." Yusuf stood up.

"Since when did you care about people?"

"If we stop arguing, maybe we'll survive." Maymoona huffed. A few minutes of bickering went by until Adam won and got Yamato to let us go. I grabbed my coat and walked out with Adam, who had the keys to the van. We went around the back and into the group of trees were the black vehicle blended perfectly within.