Chapter 12: Ayame

*******

Mariam's POV

***********

I woke up earlier than usual, planning to visit Maymoona in the hospital today. She still hasn't recovered from that cannibal attack, though she was doing okay, but still I couldn't help but be worried.

Last night, after seeing that man looking out from that window, I haven't dared to even think about going back to Amina's home. I always wondered who that man was.

I never saw him clearly, but I could tell he had male features, so obviously it was a man. If I ever get the courage I'll have to go check him out. Confront him on why he was living in this old abandoned home. I guess he was a homeless man.

I rubbed my head and got up from my bed. I took a shower and got ready like I usually do. Everyone was still sleeping as the house is full of voices by eight in the morning. Looking at the time, it was around seven.

I went into the kitchen and made my own breakfast. These days, my mom took in that job but it felt good to be back. To be back to who I was before. I wasn't in tension and stress. The investigation really changed my life but this investigation meant a lot to my mother. Amina meant a lot to her.

I sat down on the table and chewed on my food slowly. Maybe I'll start searching for Ayame's son now. I'll have to start finding out his name, where he lives, and where he works. It wasn't impossible.

While I was eating, mom came down and seemed quite surprised but didn't say anything.

"Hey." She greeted.

"Hey." I replied back. Mom sat down beside me. "Change, huh?" She was referring to my breakfast I had made. I nodded.

"How's the investigation coming along?" She asked. I really didn't tell my mom the progress I've made so far.

"Good. Uh, mom?" I looked at her.

"Yes?"

"I need a little bit more information about Ayame. Or her son. If you know anything, I mean." I looked at her facial expression. She didn't hesitate to tell anything.

"Ayame... I know. Amina mentioned to me something about her." Mom concentrated on the memory. "I fell into a coma. It was said I had jumped off a window sill. I don't know the details though. Amina was then questioned if there was anything in the cake I had eaten-"

"Cake?" I blinked.

"Yes, cake. Amina said her mom had made it but...then when I was finally out of my coma after a while, Amina said a woman named Ayame and claimed she made it and sent it to the family to enjoy." Mom furrowed her eyebrows to remember more. "Ayame disappeared and her son was sent to the mosque or church- I don't know- for adoption, I suppose. I guess you can ask around our neighbours about where she used to live. It was said Ayame lived around this neighbourhood." Mom suggested. "And you can start by asking the church or mosque by Cougar about her son."

I nodded and finished my food, putting the plate into the sink. "I'll start after I visit Maymoona. Thanks." I kissed her forehead and smiled.

***

"You're saying a jinn helped you get an idea what happened that night?" Maymoona gaped at me.

"You don't believe me?"

"It's extremely rare. Like, really, really, really rare. Are you sure you weren't having hallucinations?"

I roll my eyes. "No, I'm pretty sure everything happened."

"How did you even see a jinn?"

"'It seemed to be in human form." I sigh, rolling my eyes again. I shuffled through my bag, taking out a pencil and piece of paper.