Chapter 28: Yusuf

"Unlike you," he paused, "I don't have a home to return to."

~Yusuf

*******

Mariam's POV

*******

I wiped my tears as I was done explaining and glanced at Maymoona to find her in shock.

"That's so inhuman of him." She scowled. "He seriously told that you were adopted?"

I nod my head slowly.

"And he didn't tell you who your real parents were?"

I shook my head, wanting to cry again. "It doesn't matter. My real parents may be dead so maybe I was given away. And then mo- Layla- adopted me." I couldn't call her my mother now. It'll just hurt me more to be reminded that her memories were erased.

Maymoona sensed the new batch of tears coming out my eyes so she quickly pulled me in a hug. She smelled of fresh coconut milk like she always did and I took in her scent, feeling a bit better.

"Hush, child." I felt her grin. When comforting me, it was the only time when Maymoona could actually act her age become a bigger-like sister to me. Usually, I was the mature one, but I needed this and I was grateful for her mother-like qualities.  She released me and I wiped my tears, putting my hair back into a tight bun so the strands won't stick to my wet face.

"Beautiful as always." Maymoona sighs which makes us both laugh.

"I'm ugly."

"Isn't that what every girl says?"

"Yes."

She shook her head and wiped my tears. "Stay strong, okay?"

"Okay." I smiled and she returned the kind gesture.

"Good." Maymoona grabbed Bliquorice as he purred at our feet and hauled him up. He was getting used to her within minutes and kind of gave up because he knew Maymoona would never leave him. 

For now, I decided not to think about my mother who adopted me and that who in the world were my real parents.  I sighed and took Bliquorice from Maymoona and stroked him and he purred in delight. I still had doubts, and I wanted to give the cat back to Sir Immortia, but I was attached to it.

Maymoona and I sat there until we heard footsteps coming down again. I swirl my head around to see Sir Immortia stomping down the stairs and it was clear he was angry. I stood up and Maymoona did the same.

Sir Immortia pushed past us and stood in front of the front doors. He turned around and menacingly glared at us both before yelling. "Call as many people as you can, right here."

I stared at him for a while, wondering what's up but when Sir Immortia screamed 'now!' I jumped back a little and scuttled away, telling any guard that came before me. They nodded, and made their way towards the front hall.

When I turned a corner, I bumped right into someone's chest and stumbled backwards.

"Do you have eyes or no?" Adam glared while lighting a cigarette. I look at the action in disgust and then into Adam's eyes.

"Sir Immortia has called everyone to the front hall." I state.

"Why? He wants to praise me for hitting him?" Adam gave a bored look and looked straight across from him.

"No. It's for something else."

"Tell him I killed myself. So I don't have to attend the stupid speech."