Chapter six: "Roses are red, violets are blue..."

"...ska. Earth to Alaska!" Nix snapped her fingers and I jerked back, confused.

"Huh? What happened?" I looked around and saw that we had now moved onto the center of Secretum where all the other buildings were located.

Some of the junior volunteers were grouping the young teens up and giving them mini tours around the place.

Austin, Nix and I started following one of the groups but since the group was in good hands, we started our own conversation.

"Ahem, so you read and deleted my email from last night, right?" Both of them nodded and we turned our heads around, scanning the place before continuing our conversation.

"So, Miami eh? Are you guys excited? It's practically like going on vacation. Did Adams say what you're exactly going to be doing there?" I looked at Nix for an answer to Austin's question but she was reading the brochure of Secretum we had handed out to the group earlier as if she had never heard of the place before.

"Will you put that down!" I hissed in her ear and smacked the paper down, taking her by surprise.

"Ooo, uh, yeah Miami, sounds fun. Scary. intimidating." Nix responded ungracefully. Austin didn't seem very convinced by her response though.

"Are you sure you guys are ready for this? Whatever it is. I still don't know why Adams is sending you there." I looked at Nix who clearly had no response. She hadn't been formally told yet about the Miami situation except her dad, Mr.Scott had apparently been dropping hints about it to her.

Our attention snapped away as we reached a building and everyone around us hushed down. "This is the medical laboratory and hospital. Should you require medical assistance at any time, please either escort yourself or call our emergency number, not 9-1-1, but 9-1-1-1, very creative I know and you should receive the attention you need." One of the volunteers finished talking.

Another volunteer, a tall girl with straight, blonde hair began talking. "Please note that these double metallic doors are for the hospital and those white ones are for the medical labs. You are prohibited from visiting the labs unless given access. People get confused but remember, blood tastes metallic and what do hospitals have? Blood. Now you'll remember which doors are for what."

"What a great way to remember." I mumbled.

We shifted away from the science buildings to the gym.

Again, chitter chatter rose amongst us and Austin broke the silence between the three of us. "Are you dodging my question, Al? What's going on? You still haven't told me why you're being taken away already." I groaned internally. He really wasn't going to give up.

I scratched the back of my head. "Uh, it's nothing to worry about. Adams just mentioned something regarding shadowing a couple of detectives on their assignments. I had signed up for some extra rotations and maybe they've found a placement for us." It was partially true.

I felt Nix squeeze my shoulder in pride, telling me that I had given a good excuse. I saw Austin nodding his head, his hair flopping up and down.

"Oh, I see. I guess that makes sense. I've completed all of my rotations so now I'm looking for a co-op with someone at Secretum. I'm the first from our grade to have completed it and already received my badge." I rolled my eyes and smiled to myself. Sometimes Austin really acted like he was better than everyone else. At least the subject had changed.

Once more we came to a stop. "This is our famous gym. It's where you will do all of your training. You will be placed with groups from your grade and will have them until you finish secondary school. Our instructors are highly skilled and qualified and specialize in various fighting techniques. For now you'll be taught the basics such as parkour and Brazilian jiu-jitsu." The blonde volunteer finished speaking.