Chapter thirty seven: One last time

Our bags were packed and lined up against the corridor wall upstairs. The past two weeks had flown by. I was back in school for today as we had been asked to inform our teachers and the main office of our departure, something we could've done virtually if it wasn't for Nix.

She wasn't entirely happy. We were eager to go back home but Nix found it difficult to leave all the friends she had made at school behind. I hadn't had a strong relationship with anyone really- especially since I had missed out on 2 months so I was sitting on the edge of my seat.

As I gathered up my school supplies and placed it into my plastic shopper, worrisome thoughts entered mind. One of them was regarding the plane ride back home. Planes invoked fear and anxiety within me. Even just catching a glimpse of them or hearing them pass over us made me completely lose myself. I had to find a way to stop it from happening again. Especially not in front of Adams. Our assignments involved a lot of travelling, if he saw me breakdown, I could kiss my future agent career goodbye.

The other thing that gave me cramps in the stomach was the thought of that woman. The woman who had been watching us. We couldn't deny the fact someone was there, I was definitely not seeing things. But this woman, she had the entire time to hurt us if she wanted, why didn't she? What was she waiting for?

"Al, come on, we're gonna be late." I broke away from my thoughts and grabbed my stuff.

"Do you have the garbage bags?" I asked. Nix pulled them out from under the kitchen and waved it at me. She tossed one to me and kept one for herself. Both of us ripped 3 holes on the end of the bag, one large and the other two smaller and fairly the same size.

We slipped our hands and heads through it and to keep our hair from getting wet, we placed shoppers on our heads.

"Looks like Halloween came back early." I said. Nix chuckled and we both opened the door to leave for school.

Outside the rain was powerful. Every 5 seconds, lightning would strike across the clouds and thunder would boom vehemently. The sky had been enraged for the past few weeks. The weather had just been awful and people had mostly stayed at home, other than going to work, school and grocery stores.

All our neighbors that would normally sit outside and judge one another had hid in their homes and instead eyed each other from their windows. We walked past Paul who glared at us.

"Maybe we should've stayed home." Nix cried as the rain fell on us harshly.

"This was your idea Nix! We could've just emailed the teachers to let them know." I grunted. The rain didn't stop though. In fact it fell even harder. As if it was telling us to go back home.

The garbage bags we had worn to protect ourselves from getting wet were flapping back and forth. My head gear had begun to choke me so I ripped it off and it flew away somewhere, like a bird who had been freed from its cage.

We both placed our grocery bags with the school supplies on our heads and ran towards Palm Woods. The side walks were empty. People had either taken their cars to school or had stayed at home entirely.

Finally after ten minutes of sprinting through the inclement weather, we barged into the school building, one last time. Thankfully the security had been removed so we didn't have to worry about getting through it. The bell rang at the very moment and we ran to the office first to hand in some documents signed by Del to prove that we were actually leaving and not just a made up story tp miss school.

"Hi Ms Jaya, I'm here to give you the forms my grandmother gave." Alaska handed the documents over to her. Ms Jaya who without giving it as much of a glance gave us a thumbs up and told us how much she would miss us and our plastic grocery bags but not without giving a lecture on how unsustainable it was to use that.