Chapter forty four: Mutual Stalker

I blinked a few times, bothered by the sudden bright lights around me. Beep. Beep. Beep. The heart monitor went.

I tried getting up and heard a metal rattling. I followed the noise to my hands where two separate handcuffs had been placed on each wrist of mine, stopping me from trying to escape. My legs fought with the blanket and when I finally got it off, it revealed a zip tag tying my feet together.

"Good night I suppose." Johanna. I rolled my eyes and looked towards the door where she stood with a clipboard in her hands.

"What's with the hostage makeover." I gestured towards my body with my fingers.

"Just trying to stop you from causing more problems in my lab. Plus, once you start getting stronger and handling the venom extraction process better, I need you to stay put and not running around like an animal."

I snorted, "Well, I guess I am part animal because of you, so you can only blame yourself." She scowled and dropped a bag near the floor. She tied her hair up in a loose ponytail and started checking the filled test tubes.

"Good work my girl." My head snapped in her direction as I watched her picking up each of the venom vials and staring at it like a hungry lion staring at a piece of meat.

"Your welcome." I sarcastically replied. Then I wondered, "Where's Cairo?" I felt a little woozy again so I dropped my head back against the pillow. She may be a seriously messed up woman but at least the pillows she had given felt like putting your head on a cloud. Or maybe it was the sedatives.

"He's...alive. I can't lose him, he knows a lot." She said.

"Well, maybe you shouldn't have killed Jeff." I suggested.

"He had it coming." She placed the vials into a tray and pushed it into a cabinet, swung the doors shut and locked it. "Now, I imagine your trip in Miami hasn't been the best." I shook my head.

"I guess I have you to thank for that. Day one, I nearly got shot, my friend somehow gets stuck to the ceiling because of her stickies-" Johanna raised her eyebrows. "-Our ability to get stuck to the walls and stuff-"

"Well, you know that's actually not 'sticky stuff'. It's actually the molecules of invisible hairs on the surface of your palm and feet that are able to attract to the molecules of the ceiling. The polarization between the two allow you to use the 'stickies'. You should've known this-you took chemistry." I just stared at her silence. I just had seen her go all Nix on me and I really didn't like that. Only Nix was allowed to tell me stupid thing I wasn't interested in.

I looked away and stared at the end of the room.

"Aww... don't be mad. I was just teaching you simple science, really. Why don't you continue telling me reason why Miami has been bad." I glared at her and pointed my finger at her.

"The name 'Johanna', pretty much sums it all up." I looked away and twiddled my thumbs. There was a sudden ache in my heart after the thought of Nix. I can't believe how I had fought with her...and then I lost her. I should've followed her, smacked her in the head if anything and brought her back home where we would've been safe. If only I had known about Kaleb-Cairo and the pretentious Mrs Lancaster. I could've saved us. I don't know how I had been so gullible.

This was all my fault. Had I never pleaded Adams to bring me to the mission that day and gotten Nix involved in it too, we would not be currently being abused. We wouldn't have had Marisa go through all the effort to run tests on us, make us treatments and a whole cure. Having to put Adams through the stress of sending us here and making him hate me even more.

It was hitting me now how bad I had messed up. It stayed silent for a few minutes as I was engrossed in my thoughts and Johanna counted all the money she was going to make from the new vials.