Chapter twenty six: Halloween (part one)

The day had arrived, October 31st. I laid in bed, locks of my hair spread across on the limp pillow. I turned my head around to check the forecast for today, generally the weather dictated my mood. Sunny? Happy. Partly cloudy? Content. Cloudy and rainy? Grumpy.

Today, the weather wouldn't make a difference to my mood, even if the sun was happily shining or the entire day there would be cracks and flashes in the sky because today was Alexandra's Adams' death anniversary. Adams' daughter. A daughter who had beautiful green eyes like her father's, an infectious, loud laugh, but the most memorable was her kindness. Never did she get mad at her dad, even when he denied her of what she wanted, she would look at the positive side of days, practiced her gratitude like the very few and not let anyone ruin her day. She was perfect. Perfect people scared me. There is no room for perfect people on this planet. Perfect people always attract tragedies that tear down their perfectness and along with their existence.

I knew the reason why every time I came close to my death, I survived because I wasn't perfect. I was just one of the billions of tiny, invisible, ants on this planet, here to make others shine but that didn't matter to me, as long as I didn't die, I was completely fine with being alive because dead people bring death to the lives of others. Not their existence but their lives.

"Okay, if you're done with that dramatic face of yours, it's time to get ready." I slowly moved my head and saw Nix staring at me with a smile. Sometimes I wondered what was going on in Nix's mind. Nix may not have gone through the same troubles as I did but everyone deals with their demons differently but with Nix, the amazing thing was that she was able to cheer anyone up. Just like Alexandra.

"You know what today is right?" I spoke softly. I didn't want to say it out loud. Though two years have gone by, a beautiful soul had been ripped away from all of us and it just gets harder because as more time flies by, the more memories I have with Alexandra begin to fade. It's like when you're running after your hat that flies off your head on a windy day, I keep running after her, trying to remind myself of everything I know about her, the way she looks, the way she behaves but everything I know about her is escaping from my grasp.

"Yeah, Halloween!" She punched her fists in the air with excitement.

I sulked and continued staring at the ceiling. There was some shuffling beside me and the bed creaked as Nix sat down.

"And... It's also Alexandra's death anniversary."

"Spot on."

Nix got off the bed and swung the double doors open of the wooden closet meant to fit a 10 year old's wardrobe. "Look, if you love Alexandra then not only will you remember her today and think of all the beautiful memories you guys have together, you will also celebrate your life like she would want you to."

"It's not easy though, you know. Especially since her father goes around placing the blame on me." She didn't speak but started pushing clothes around, swiping hangers back and forth and throwing a few pieces behind her. "What are you doing?" I sat up on the bed and watched her.

"Looking for the most decent thing I can find. I'm sick and tired of wearing these dull clothes." She picked a brown faded shirt off the ground and pinched her nose. "This smells like cheese for some reason. What if Adams actually kicked us out of Secretum? I mean, the wardrobe department works on some people's costumes for months, altering and tailoring clothes. How come they just tossed us their entire lost and not found collection of clothes and shipped us off so fast." I wasn't sure if she actually meant it or she was trying to distract me.

Grabbing a scrunchie from the side table, I put my hair up and rubbed my sleepy eyes, "Well I wouldn't say fast, we were rotting in the basement for four months."