Chapter twenty two: First Day of School (Part 2)

Despite most things going wrong this morning, the one thing that went okay was Nix and I trying to find our classes. After asking for help though.

"So... I guess I'll see you after class. Oh well there's 2 classes then break. Try not to make too many friends." Enthusiasm shined through Nix and she happily skipped off to Calculus. Navigation was a nightmare for me so Nix had babied down the map Mrs Kress had provided us with to accommodate my atrocious sense of direction.

Why am I so nervous? With shaky hands, I folded the simplified map and placed it in my grocery bag.

The large grey door of the class was wide open, a small wooden door stopper had been jammed underneath the door to stop it from closing. The sound of students chatting inside was faintly audible from where my anxious figure stood outside.

You're a reptilian for god's sake, you've been training and living at Secretum Academy for 7 years, why be nervous about starting a new school. This is what you've yearned for post reptilian.

After pacing back and forth in front of the class and hearing Mrs Kress making an announcement for the entire school for students who are still coming in to get to class right away or they'd have to scrub the toilets, I ran in.

Surprisingly no one took notice of me. All the students continued conversing with another. Only a couple of kids watched me but then looked away.

Hesitantly, I advanced towards the teacher's desk and introduced myself.

"Nice to meet you, where are you from Miss Brooks." The teacher, who introduced themself as Ms Dalton leaned back on the wheelie chair and examined me with curiosity.

"Big Apple."

"Big Apple? Hmm, I've never heard of that. By the way, yes I'm kidding. How is New York? Must be a big change from here to there right?"

I sighed, all the memories of New York rushed through my mind, "Yeah it's definitely quite different but the weather here is more enjoyable. I prefer the heat to cold."

"And I'm the opposite. Well Alaska, cool name by the way, ironic you like heat considering your name is Alaska, please have a seat. I believe Mrs Kress mentioned that you have been taking Pre-Calc in your previous school so you should be caught up with us right?"

I burst out laughing. Internally. "Yes. I'm familiar with the um... concepts."

"Well great, let me know if you need any help, I'm always available." I returned her a smile and turned around, instantly frowning as I noticed the only seat available was between 2 boys who were fighting over a pencil.

"But dude! I don't have any more! This is my last one!"

"Like I care! You owe me from last time!"

"Take my notes after I'm done!"

"Shut up. Your notes are hardly legible. The teacher cut off a mark because your 5 looked like an 8."

"Give it back!" I made a face and looked back at the teacher for help but they were busy sifting through a stack of papers.

I walked up to the two boys and they immediately stopped fighting. And I can promise, it wasn't for my drop dead gorgeous looks that would catch attention of people from miles away.

"Why do you have a grocery bag?" One of the boys asked.

"Aha! Got it!" The other boy held the pencil like it was an Academy Award and looked at me. "Hey I saw you earlier." I scrunched my forehead but remembered it was Dhruv, Hash boy. "You're new right?"