Chapter forty-six: Allies

I pointed towards the keypad.

His eyes darted towards it, unsure as to what I was talking about. Of course, he couldn't see what I saw because he didn't have night vision unlike me. When he had punched the keys in and my night vision had accidentally turned on from the exhaustion I was feeling, I didn't fight it because I was trying to calmly get rid of it. I didn't fight it because I was trying to memorise the numbers that were glowing on the keypad. 1 9 7 8 were the numbers, in that order. The heat from his finger had transferred on to keys, the faintest, red glow started with 1 and got brighter from 9, 7 to 8.

As he was caught of guard, I swiftly pushed him into my room and slammed the door shut right in the nick of time, seconds before he tried to get to the door from the other side.

I heard light thudding from the otherside of the door and him calling my name but he was insane if he thought I was going to open it up for him. Let him enjoy being stuck in there for once.

I moved away from door and towards Nixs'. My heart was still hammering away in its cage. There was always a possibility that I got the code wrong. I didn't want to have hope, it would be too painful to be so close to something, having hope that you were finally getting what you wanted and end up not achieving it.

I blew out a quick breath and walked towards Nix's door. I stood across from the keypad and quickly punched in the numbers, "one...nine...seven...eight." I announced loudly and each button beeped as I clicked it and waited.

Nothing happened.

"What?!" I sighed in exasperation. I looked at the door confused, and pushed the handle down several times and suddenly the door buzzed open. I took in a sharp breath of air and ran inside.

I glanced around the room. It was exactly the same as the one I had. A small cot and a side table. Everything else was just plain. I walked up to the cot but it was empty. I turned towards the bathroom and knocked on the door.

"Nix?" I called. "Nix? It's me, Al." I said. When no response came, I slid the handle down and softly opened the door. I switched the light on but the place was empty.

Where was she? Was Johanna stilling extracting her venom?

I walked out of the room and entered the code to exit the area. I could still hear light thuds from my room but I paid no attention to it. The door unlocked and I stepped out into the hallway. My head turned towards the left. The room on the end was where we were being kept.

As I neared, I noticed the lights were still turned on. Nix and Johanna were probably still in here. I looked around me, for an object to strike Johanna with but I had nothing with me.

Oh well, I guess both of us were going to be bruised up in the next 5 minutes. I pressed in the code again and walked inside the room.

"Al?" I looked towards Nix and felt a rush of relief flood through me.

"Nix." I gasped and ran towards her, engulfing her in a hug.

"What? Did you think I was dead?" She asked. I shook my head as I moved away from her.

"I just haven't seen you in a while. I'm sorry." I tugged her hand. Before she could say anything, I turned around and surveyed the room. No sign of Johanna anywhere.

"Why are you in here all by yourself? Where's Johanna?" I asked.

"I don't know, she's been gone for a while. Cairo was the one doing the venom extraction. She must be gone for a while because he seemed less tense than normal. Where is he though? And what are you doing out here? How did you get out?"