Chapter Forty Five: Cairo's mistake

Cairo escorted me back to my room. Johanna must have something on him that she trusted him not to break my neck on the spot.

We both silently walked down the hallway, my feet slapped loudly against the marble floor. Apparently I couldn't even be trusted with a pair of shoes-or even a hair tie. Every now and then I would have to tuck strands of hair behind my ear. At least it wasn't too long, I wonder how Nix managed her long hair.

The keypad beeped loudly as Cairo pressed he keys on it and then it buzzed to life. I moved away from him, reaching my hand out to pull the door handle down when he grabbed my wrist before I could even touch the handle.

I looked down at his cold hand in an iron strong clasp around my wrist.

"What are you doing?" I asked and pulled my wrist away from him and he let go.

"Why did you tell Johanna that I'm the mutual stalker?" I met his gaze. His face was pale again and lips tightly pursed together. My eyes moved down to his hands which were trembling.

I raised one eyebrow. "If it's not true then why are you so worried?"

"Because you do realize she's a completely psychotic woman and somehow you managed to convince her about me. You can't just tell her such blatant lies in order to protect yourself." I shook my head at him in disgust.

"I will do whatever I can to protect me. Especially if it means you being tortured by her." I threatened.

He scoffed. "Are you really that low of a human?" I stared at him for a few seconds, shocked by the hypocrisy he had. He was calling me low? After everything that he had done and continued to do? I was the person who was low according to him. I had the urge to laugh at the question but I was too angry and upset to.

"Why don't you ask yourself that question considering a teacher is dead because of you and two innocent people are currently kidnapped and being tortured pretty much. So if you think I'm a low human for wanting to see you hurt then maybe I am."

"I didn't kill him. Coach Jen. That was her. He heard the conversation between Johanna and I, about...taking you and Phoenix away. She saw him watching us and before he could run, she caught up to him and hurt him. I tried to stop her, I did but I couldn't."

I stared at him, he facial expressions did seem genuine but at the same time, I thought he was a genuine friend of mine this entire time. I thought he was a troubled boy who needed help and saving. He was just playing a con.

"That doesn't change the fact that he's still dead and my best friend and I are rotting in this place. You may not have killed him but you had the opportunity to save us. You could have warned us at least. All you care about is yourself and the money she's handing you for every hour you spend making me more vulnerable and weaker."

I turned away from him, hoping that my words stung him when in reality, I'm sure the hurt me more than they hurt him. The truth was no matter what he had done, even if he did feel the guilt, I was the one paying the price. Nix and I were suffering because of others' selfish actions.

I swung the door open and slammed it shut behind me and slipped onto the floor, my back hitting the door.

Weeks had passed by, I had made no progress in getting out of here. What I had made progress was with making Johanna angrier which resulted in Jeff's death. I tried not to let it affect me but every time I was locked into this room, all I could think was how she had jabbed him with venom. My venom and given him a painful death. How if I had just listened to her, maybe Jeff would be alive.

But thankfully, the part of me that had some sense left in it reminded me that this was all Cairo's doing. Had he not brought me and Nix here, I would be finishing off my senior year in-well, not in peace if we're still talking about living in Miami with Del but at least it wouldn't have been as bad as this. Even school that drove me nuts wasn't as bad as being trapped here, pondering if I'd ever be let out. If I would ever accomplish my goals-hell even just get the opportunity to fail at them.