-2-

ROSALIE POV

I wake before the sun has even rose itself, like any other day. Here in District 11, you have to be up, dressed, and ready to go before sunrise as work starts promptly at sunrise until sunset.

You're expected to be ready to work by the time the sun is visible and can stop working when the sky begins to darken.

You arrive late? Whipping post. You leave early? Whipping post. You're caught stealing? Whipping post. You get the gist.

I work in the orchards and, due to my size, work high in the trees. I can easily manoeuvre from tree to tree, even when the branches are slender or further distances apart. I can see the flag that signals the end of the working day from the high tree points and I always use a four-note tune to let the others know, it's become known throughout the orchards now.

An advantage of working high in the trees is being hidden by the leaves. This means I manage to stuff small fruit into my jacket pockets. The jacket I wear is large on my small figure as it's my brothers old one, this means it's unnoticeable that the pockets contain anything as it's so loose on me. My brother, Brook, works out on the field because of his taller, more muscular build. He has no chance of stealing food as the fields are heavily monitored by guards during work hours and we are both too exhausted by night to risk the journey out, I only do it on rare occasions when I have enough energy or motivation (from near starvation).

District 11 is split into zones, separated by high walls and razor sharp fences. There are three available jobs: on the huge open fields harvesting crops (this was mainly for more muscular built people), fruit orchard workers (this involves climbing the trees and collecting their fruit) and caring for and collecting milk from the cattle herds (this is more reserved for the slightly more 'privileged' of the districts large population, though nobody is rich here). The fence stands at 30 feet high lined with large metal plates and topped with barbed wire coils and is constantly electrified. There are fields of wildflowers where my mum had learnt about many of her plants. From both experience and her books, I've learnt about every plant to exist. Brook, on the other hand, has the attention span of a pebble unless it involves earning us food, so has never really been one for reading like myself.

We have strict laws in District 11, the government are harsh and cruel, due to our industry and products being vital to the Capitol's existence. Severe punishments are given for minor offences, too, including public whipping (which I can say I've had my fair share of) and sometimes even executions. For example, one girl I knew had a little sister who was scared of the dark so she tried to take a pair of night-vision goggles (which we mostly use during the harvest when we work until well after dark, or torchlight,) home to her and instead was shot on the spot.

I've had my fair share of whippings due to a variety of reasons, whether I was stealing crops or fruit, foraging in fields, or if I'm late.

After letting the others know the work day was over with the mockingjays, I climb down the tree feeling pleased with the minuscule amount of fruit I was able to sneak.

By the time I reach the house, the night sky has fully darkened. Me and Brook share out my fruit and we go to bed.

I collapse as soon as I lay down, letting my eyes fall and enjoy their brief time of calm before the whole process is repeated.

The circle of life.