-25-

ROSALIE POV

I dress in a pair of black dungarees and a cream shirt and pull on my black combat boots I had to buy when my brown ones had finally fallen apart.

The past few years, the Reaping has been less heart wrenching for me as I know there's nobody Snow can reap to harm me.

That's different this year.

This year, little Rue is twelve meaning her name is in the bowl.

Liana comes out, irritating as usual. She greets the crowd excitedly, plays the annoying video like every year, says she has chills, and picks a name from the girls bowl. It's Rue.

This stupid fucking rigged piece of shit system.

She doesn't deserve this. She doesn't deserve to die just because she knows me, because we're friends.

She doesn't deserve to die because I helped her family buy food. Or because I taught her my four-note song.

She has a family to care for. Siblings. This isn't fair.

Nobody volunteers.

The other tribute is Thresh. I recognise him from school, he's a few years younger than me. I think Ralph mentioned him once or twice.

Poor Rue looked absolutely tiny besides the giant that is Thresh.

I watch as Rue's mother and siblings all visit her as well as Thresh's grandmother and sister visiting him.

Whilst they're in their private rooms, I follow Chaff to the train, "that the little girl whose family you help?" I just nod.

As soon as I see Rue on the train, she runs over and hugs me, wrapping her small arms around me. Being twenty-one now, i'm a lot taller than the twelve year old. I still see the tiny little girl I met, too young to have such responsibilities, at the stall trying to buy food for her family.

As the girl clings to me wordlessly, I make eye contact with Thresh and send him a small smile. He just looks at me, trying to figure me out maybe. "Where's Chaff?"

"Drunk, he'll be here soon."

Thresh nods and Rue takes her seat beside him. "So how do we survive?" the boy asks. "Any tips?"

"Make friends. You're gonna need sponsors..."

I go through the same routine as every year. It gets depressingly awful after a couple times, sending two kids off to their deaths every year. Because if I'm being honest, district 11 doesn't make many victors. I mean, look at the evidence. Me and Chaff are the only living victors to represent our district.

Rue and Thresh hang onto my every word as they eat some of the food lay out until they seem tired.

"Why don't you two get some rest. There's fancy showers, fresh clothes and a comfy bed in each of your rooms." Rue left straight away but Thresh stayed. "Go make the most of the luxury," he notices the mock in my statement.

He stood reluctantly but turned before leaving the room on the train, "you're on her side aren't you?"

"It's likely that Chaff will train you, and me Rue, so I'm not accidentally biased but I can't pick sides, I won't. I love Rue, but you don't deserve this either. I don't want any of you to die. So if you do have any questions, you can ask me and i'll answer the best I possibly can."

Satisfied with my answer, he nods, turns, and leaves.

Rue scores a seven with her climbing and speed. Chaff and I had advised her to be her kind, gentle, innocent self.

I had told her to be observant and aware of her surroundings in her games, not wanting the same thing to happen to her that has with her other loved ones. I told her to stay off the ground and high in trees if possible. To find an ally if she can trust them enough, and if she doesn't trust them completely 100% then don't bother.

I've been unable to sleep these past days and am instead sat by the window looking out at the Capitol, a place I once saw as extraordinary when I first arrived. Now I see all the disgusting flaws of the Capitol.

I'm soon joined by a small shadow and turn to find Rue with a small smile. She was nervous. Scared, understandably so. She asked if I could sing her a song to calm her nerves and I found that, just like when Ralph had asked me, I couldn't refuse the small girl in her time of vulnerability.

She did excellent in her interview. Everyone loved her. Why wouldn't they? It's just a shame they didn't love her enough not to send a twelve year old into a murder arena.

When the time came and they were saying goodbye, Rue gave me a tight hug. "Take care of my family Rosie?"

"I promise, stay strong?"

"I promise," the small girl grins. "Thank you, for everything. You're one of the good ones," she whispers the last bit like it's a top secret.

"You too, midget." Rue hugs me one last time before turning towards the plane and leaving.

Little did she know, that was the last time Rosalie would ever see the doe-like eyes of her friend Rue in person. The last hug the two would ever share.