-21-

ROSALIE POV

Reaping Day. A day our district despises. A day most districts despise.

We wake, have a decent breakfast, and shower before dressing in our best clothes.

Today would be different. I wouldn't stand down in the square with my district, I'd sit besides Chaff on the stage.

Liana Wane comes out, it appears she didn't get her promotion, and she begins her speech. "Welcome all, and a Happy Hunger Games. And, may the odds be ever on your favour. As always, we have a special film, brought all the way from the Capitol, for you all to watch today."

'War. Terrible war. Widows, orphans, a motherless child. This was the uprising that rocked our land. Thirteen districts rebelled against the county that fed them, loved them, protected them. Brother turned on brother until nothing remained. And then came the peace, hard fought, sorely won. A people rose up from the ashes, and a new era was born. But freedom has a cost. And the traitors were defeated. We swore as a nation we would never know this treason again. And so it was decreed that each year the various districts of Panem would offer up, in tribute, one young man and woman, to fight to the death in a pageant of honour, courage, and sacrifice. The lone Victor, bathed in riches, would serve as a reminder of our generosity and forgiveness. This is how we remember our last. This is how we safeguard our future.' Snow speaks through the video.

"Wow, I have chills," Liana exclaims. "Now the exciting part, the time has come for us to select one courageous young man and woman for the honour of representing District 11 in the 66th Annual Hunger Games. As usual, ladies first."

Liana Wane walks over to the bowl. Silence. The only sound to be heard was her heels against the floor and an occasional cough or groan in the crowd. She pulled out a piece of paper and walked back over to the microphone before opening it, "Teresa Peer."

The girl stands, walking to the stage on shaky legs. As relieved as I am that Luna is safe, I don't let it show on my face. Teresa is one of my tributes i'll mentor with Chaff. I'll get to know this girl before i'll have to send her to her death.

"And now for the boys."

She did the same thing, pulling out a paper from the bowl and reading it aloud, "Apollo Clay."

I couldn't help but let my head drop down, my best friend. I have to prepare my best friend for his possible death.

Nobody volunteers.

"Here we are, our Tributes from District 11. Shake hands, you two." Apollo turns to Teresa and shakes the trembling girls hand firmly. "Happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favour."

Whilst Luna said goodbye to Apollo, I had a moment to myself. I found Rue in the crowd and asked if her and her mother could keep an eye on Luna.

She instantly agreed, reassuring me that my friend will be okay. Such an angelic girl.

I see Luna come out of Apollo's room moments after I arrive with tears in her eyes.

"Hey, hey," I catch her in a hug before she falls. "I'll do everything in my power to help him, okay?" Luna nods, "remember my friend Rue I told you about? If you don't want to be alone, go see her and her family. They're really nice. Take some money with you too when you go."

Luna nods, hugs me again, and then leaves.

I watch her until the doors close behind her. I then go into Apollo's room.

"Hey Rosie," he greets with a small smile.

"Ready?" he nods, taking my offered hand, and follows me out of the door.

The following days were torture, having to train my best friend so he doesn't die by the hands of other teenagers. Luckily, he's really strong in hand to hand and rather skilled with a sword. Just like Ralph. Just like Brook. I pushed the thoughts away.

I find myself sat in a room with all the mentors whilst our tributes train. I'm sat on a couch in my own little world with a bowl of sugar cubes when I feel the presence of someone behind me. I turn to see Finnick Odair. There's no doubt he's handsome. He is tall, athletic and chiseled, with tanned skin, bronze hair, and has stunning sea-green eyes.

"You mind?" he points to the empty seat beside me on the couch.

"Go ahead," I shake my head.

He takes a seat and I pass him the bowl. He considers my offer, "sugar cubes?"

"Don't hate 'em til you try 'em."

He eyes them cautiously but takes one anyway. "Very sweet," he observes.

"I'm more of a sweet over savoury person."

"We have that in common," he takes another. He opens his mouth to speak before closing it after a second, deciding against what he was going to say.

"What is it?"

"It's just... your brother. He was in my games." He watched my face for a reaction but I don't give him one, i'm still deciding if I can trust the blonde. "I'm sorry. He was a good guy."

"Yeah. He was." I can feel his sea-green eyes on me but they didn't hold a threat of any kind, he seemed genuine for once. "It's okay, it's not your fault."

"I won, he could've," Finnick argued.

"No. He couldn't. We both knew he wasn't coming back. He got too distracted too easily, he didn't have the heart to harm anyone or anything. If anything, i'm just glad it happened early on, that it was quick."

Finnick nods, "the boy you're mentoring?"

I nod, "my best friend."

"You volunteered for his sister right?" I nod.

"Bad luck am I right?"

We share a glance, both knowing what I meant. It was rigged. Obviously. Rumours had been spreading that my games had caused whispers of rebellion. Nothing big enough to start a full-blown rebellion, but there was hope. Whether it was my brother dying then I was next in line, or my heart pulling interviews, or the moment between me and Ralph as we confessed our crush, or the song. Whatever it was had touched the people in the districts enough to give them hope. Maybe they hoped i'd be angry enough that i'd join a rebellion? Truth is, I wouldn't. Not unless both Apollo and Luna also agreed. Because otherwise, they'd be punished for my actions. Snow was already using my best friends to punish me. Was Ralph and Brook not enough?