-29-

an: fyi, in this book Chaff and Rosalie are the only Victors for their district.

'Ladies and gentlemen, this is the 75th year of The Hunger Games. And it was written in the charter of the Games that every 25 years, there would be a Quarter Quell to keep fresh for each new generation the memory of those who died in the uprising against the Capitol. Each Quarter Quell is distinguished by Games of a special significance. And now on this, the 75th anniversary of our defeat of the rebellion, we celebrate the 3rd Quarter Quell as a reminder that even the strongest cannot overcome the power of the Capitol. On this, the 3rd Quarter Quell Games, the male and female Tributes are to be reaped from the existing pool of Victors in each district. Victors shall present themselves on Reaping Day regardless of age, state of health, or situations.'

The voice of President Coriolanus Snow echoed throughout the Victor's empty house.

Rosalie felt a pit of rage ignite deep in her stomach. She muttered under her breath, "fuck you, Snow."

There's a knock on the door. She opens it, revealing the solemn face of Chaff, her friend and once mentor long ago. He's holding a bottle of what she assumes, and hopes, is alcohol with a raised brow. A small smile finds its way to her lips. She lets him in wordlessly and they drink their worries away. Knowing they are going back to the arena, being the only Victors of District 11 made it definite.

Rosalie thinks of Finnick and Annie and Mags. Of Johanna and Chaff. And the happy couple. The star-crossed lovers. The girl with the bow and boy with the... bread? Katniss Everdeen, the Girl On Fire. The reason they're in this situation altogether.

Rosalie is mad. At Snow. At everything and everyone she's lost for nothing. At the Games. At Katniss. But she could've blame the teenager who did what she could to survive, it'd be rather hypocritical of her.

But there's a part of her that is thrilled about one thing. One good thing Katniss brought about. Hope. And with that, rebellion.

If it came down to it, Rosalie would join the rebellion. As long as Luna would be okay and Finnick and Johanna are by her side.

Finnick. The man she hasn't seen since the morning after their night together as she'd been needed for a day out with a client and Finnick was on his way home. Neither really knew where they stood, was it too late to find out now?

Finnick and Rosalie had been sent to the Capitol for one last trip before the quell.

Rose was sat in her apartment lounging on the couch, a Capitol drama playing in the background, as her fingers absentmindedly picked at the skin around her nails.

A quiet knock at her door brought her from her zoned out state. She was confused by the action as it was just past midnight when she'd been dropped off by Mikel and returned to her apartment so it must've been very early hours of the morning now. It was still dark out.

She moved to grab the remote to turn the television off and realised her finger bleeding. "One moment," she called, rushing to the kitchen to clean the blood off with cold water, biting her lip at the sting it brought. She grabbed a plaster from the cupboard before moving to open it, revealing an exhausted Finnick.

His shirt was unbuttoned at the top and messily tucked into his shirt like he'd rushed getting ready. He had slight bags under his lifeless looking eyes and a lazy smile on his lips. Even his voice sounded tired. The two were like a mirror, both fatigued from their... schedules.

"Can I come in?" he sighs. Rosalie nods, moving to the side to let him past.

That was the first time they'd seen each other since the quell had been announced. Finnick closed the door behind himself and immediately wrapped his arms round her smaller figure. They sought comfort in each other's embrace.

They spoke about their worries and fears for themselves and their loved ones for the quell and fell asleep beside each other in Rosalie's large Capitol bed.

Neither had any nightmares that night, they slept peacefully.

ROSALIE POV

"Welcome, welcome. As we celebrate the 75th anniversary, and 3rd Quarter Quell, of The Hunger Games. As always, ladies first," the annoyingly chirpy voice of Liana Wane spoke.

Her hand reached into the large bowl containing one name, my name.

"The female Tribute from District 11, Rosalie May."

With a blank face, I walk over and stand beside the woman in the over-the-top red butterfly dress.

"And now for the men." She does the same for the male Tribute, pulling Chaff's name out of the bowl that holds one name only. Chaff steps forward, joining me at the front of the stage.

"The Tributes from District 11, Rosalie and Chaff." Nobody claps. Nothing happens. "Now-"

She's interrupted when a member of Rue's family sings the four-note tune I created and taught the young girl. The famous tune. Soon enough, everyone had whistled and the birds around our District had joined in. There was no blocking out the melodic sound.

I whistle myself before we are dragged into roughly by peacekeepers through the door behind us. The last thing I see are peacekeepers rushing through the crowd towards Rue's family... I try to fight back but it's no use, there's no point as my attempts are futile when the strong arms of a peacekeeper push me further.

We're taken straight to the train.

Liana sits us down on the train. We have no mentor so she tells us what'll happen. "Everything will be different, being a Quarter Quell and all. The Capitol has spared no expense. A new training centre. New Tribute living quarters. And, of course, a very special arena. But this year you'll be facing other Victor's, Capitol favourites. Smarter, more skilled, cunning. Sponsors and allies will be your best friends."