-12-

ROSALIE POV

Going into the Training Centre, I had two things for definite in my mind. 1) I wouldn't be trying the weapon that took my brothers life, the bow, and 2) I wouldn't be trying the weapon of my brothers choice, the sword.

The head trainer, a tall athletic looking woman, explained the training schedule. Each station has an expert in the skill to coach and teach you, you are free to travel to any stations as you choose, some stations are survival skills and some are fighting techniques. Any kind of combat with another tribute is forbidden so there are assistants on hand to practice with as partners.

As she talks us through the rules, I look around at the group of twenty-two threats. Ralph is bigger than some of them, stronger than most, but I am the youngest, and the smallest, of them all. Even the young ginger boy from District 4 is much taller than me.

Ralph and I decided to stick together, to appear stronger, we first went to the knot-tying station. We learnt a snare for catching animals to eat and also a snare-like trap that would leave a competitor dangling by the leg. We worked at the station for just over an hour before we had mastered both snares.

I then opted for the knives station whilst Ralph went to the hand-to-hand combat section. He sparred with one of the assistants as they coached him whilst I was being coached on knife-wielding. I was first taught how to correctly hold the knife, then how to throw it. I have good aim and I learn pretty fast. Apparently I have a hidden skill at knife throwing because within an hour I was rarely missing a target. Yay?

The expert recommended me to try at the spear throwing station next. You can't just have knives in the arena because they are usually either close combat, which tends to be more dangerous, or long distance, meaning you lose the knives as you throw them, whereas with a spear you can throw it and retrieve it as well as use it in close combat; similar to a trident but not as heavy.

I decide to go to the fishhook station and, after half an hour, manage to make an efficient, yet rather messily made, fishhook. We then go to a separate room for lunch where I sit with Ralph. We talk about training and weapons. I tell him about my ability with knives and that I will try at the spear station after we've eaten. He tells me that he's alright at hand-to-hand combat, though the trainer did say he wasn't very aware of surroundings, and that he's done some first aid/wound knowledge too. I couldn't help but think about my brother Brook and how he wasn't observant enough and fell into the Capitol's trap in his Games. I shake it of as Ralph tells me he's very good with a slingshot so I advises him to try knife throwing too.

After lunch, I spend the the rest of training at the spear station and after a whole afternoon, I've gotten very good. I have amazing aim and accuracy. But I hid it well, purposely missing some of the targets so the other tributes wouldn't think of me as a threat. Not that anyone was particularly watching anyway.

Ralph, as it turns out, isn't very good with weapons so far, other than the slingshot. He did some work with a sword and decided it was the one he was best at. He was good in hand-to-hand combat though, as long as he stays focussed.

Overall, I'd say it was rather successful.

I woke up in the middle of the night again but when I went out into the hall, I was met by Ralph sat in the living room by the wall to floor window, "hey."

"Hi," he looks up at me with tired eyes, "cant sleep?"

"No. You?" I ask.

He shakes his head, "can I tell you something?"

"Always."

"I'm scared. Bad. I can't do anything other than make a fire, throw some rocks with a slingshot, swing a sword messily, and catch a fucking squirrel with a snare."

His breathing gets heavier and he burries his head into his knees, I crouch down besides him and wrap my arms around his body, "hey, look at me." He looks up through tired, tear filled eyes, "we're gonna be okay, you wanna know why? Because we've got each other's backs, okay? Those people out their, the Careers, they don't care about each other like we do, they don't have each other's backs, they can't trust each other, we have that advantage. Because, Ralph, I trust you with my life."

He wraps his arms around my torso and we stay there awhile, "I trust you too." We sit and enjoy each other's company awhile. "Remember that song you used to sing? When we were kids?"

"Titanium?"

He nods, "yeah that one."

"You remember that?"

"Of course I do, you have a beautiful voice," there's a small pause as he smiles.

"I'm not singing."

"Please?"

"No," I laugh. "Forget it. I haven't sung in ages." The truth? I haven't sung since my brother died.

He rolls his eyes with a smirk and kisses my forehead, "fine, I'll let you off for now. Goodnight Rose."

"Try get some sleep," I follow shortly after and head back to my own room.

In training, I perfect my knife and spear skills, though making sure to purposely aim a little of the centre of the target in case anyone is watching so I don't make myself a target. I also learn how to swim in a small pool in the training centre with Ralph and Chaff during our privates, just enough so that if there is water we won't drown.

Soon enough, it was time for our private, personal assessments with the Gamemakers.

I wish a nervous looking Ralph luck before he leaves.

Just under twenty minutes later, I'm called for.

Upon entering the room, I walk straight over to the obstacle course. The gauntlets are set up followed by the ropes course. With my practice in trees, every day all day, I finish in record time. I then throw some spears at the targets, hitting the bullseye with perfection. Grabbing a pack of knives, I walk into a simulation and turn the setting to medium. I just about manage to hit all the targets with a half a minute to spare.

I stand in front of the Gamemakers, most were watching fascinated, two of them were passed out drunk. I bow and leave the room without a single word. I'm aware that it's disrespectful to leave without being dismissed but these people, of all Capitol people (other than President Snow himself), do not deserve my respect. Part of me would've loved to glare at the president.

I score a solid ten, to my shock, and Ralph scores a six.

I wake up the next morning to Liana's banging on my door, "up and about, chop chop."

Today, we were being coached for our interviews that will take place tomorrow night.

I drag myself out of the comfort of my bed and into the hot shower using a lemon scent and letting the gadget deal with my hair once I'm out.

I change into a pair of loose black pants and a yellow top, I don't bother with shoes and just pull on some fluffy socks.

Liana, Chaff, Ralph and I all sat in the living room. Liana coached us for the first few hours on presentation like walking in heels, though they would only be small because of two factors. 1) because of my age and inexperience I turned out to be a nightmare in tall heels and 2) because it's important for my 'innocent' role to look small and cute.