-32-

"Nice. Way to make friends out there, you two," Haymitch speaks to Katniss and Peeta, Chaff standing beside him and Rosalie trailing behind reluctantly.

"Well, we learned from the best," is Katniss' reply.

"I wanna officially introduce you to some special friends of mine. This is Rosalie and Chaff, from District 11."

Chaff leans forward and, knowing what he's about to do, Rosalie nudged him causing the older man to kiss Katniss' cheek rather than kiss her on the mouth as he'd previously intended to.

Haymitch and Chaff laugh, "he's very friendly. He's my drinking buddy. And this is the wonderful Rosalie."

He looks at the girl sympathetically, knowing Katniss' presence makes her uncomfortable.

Rose just turned to Chaff, "we should get going, i'm starving. Lovely to meet you two. Congrats on the engagement."

Katniss took note on how the girl avoided eye contact with her at all costs but was fine looking at Peeta.

"See you," Haymitch pats her on the shoulder, his hand lingering with a reassuring squeeze for an extra second, and Rosalie just gives him a smile back before walking off with Chaff who has his only hand on the small of her back.

"We should go too," Peeta suggests, trying to escape the glares from District one.

"These tributes are crazy," Katniss hisses.

"Not all of 'em, he's a good guy really. And she's good too, just has a lot of ptsd."

"Come on then," Peeta catches the lift Chaff and Rosalie are in just before it can close. "You don't mind, do you?" he asks, oblivious to the pitiful look being exchanged between Rosalie and Haymitch.

"Course not." Chaff tries to diffuse the tension. Meanwhile, Rosalie is trying to get images of arrows and dead bodies out of her head.

Johanna joins us, making the space even more claustrophobic but her presence makes Rosalie relax slightly.

"Hey babe," she greets Rose who winks. "You guys look amazing." Katniss mutters a thanks and Peeta nods politely. "My stylist is such an idiot. District 7. Lumber. Trees. Ugh! I'd love to put my axe in her face. So what's it like having the whole world want to sleep with you?"

"I don't think the-" Katniss is cut off.

"I meant my girl," she stares the Girl on Fire down and sends Rosalie a kiss before turning to Peeta, "will you unzip?"

Peeta did so politely as Katniss sent him a glare.

She begins to undress. Peeta averts his eyes after a moment. Haymitch watches shamelessly. Katniss looks uncomfortably disgusted. Chaff laughs. Rosalie whistles.

"Thanks guys, you should come to my floor Rosita," Johanna smirks.

"Thank you," Haymitch smiles. "Johanna Mason, District 7, she's-"

"-a bit of a bitch?" Katniss rolls her eyes.

"She's a little complicated, better once you get to know her," Chaff defends. "Right Rose?" Rosalie nods stiffly.

Rosalie and Chaff went to their floor until they'd both go to the roof later on.

They had a close, almost father daughter, relationship. Rosalie felt safe with Chaff. He's the reason she was still alive. He taught her how to survive, managed to get her sponsors, looked out for her recently when she had no one left. She loved him in a fatherly way and he would always protect her. And always provide drinks.

Chaff appreciated Rosalie. She saved him in her very own way. She gave his life meaning again. He wasn't drunk constantly now. He still heavily drunk, yes, but he didn't feel the need to escape reality nearly as much as he used to. She became his reason to live.

"So?"

"What?" Rosalie looked up from her bowl of pretzels.

"You not listening to me?" Chaff mocked offends as he places his one hand on his heart. "Daydreaming about Odair?"

"What are you talking about?" Rose blushed.

"You know what."

"You're drunk, obviously," Rosalie smirks as she sips her own drink, letting it burn her throat.

"Oh, please, I can hold my booze. All teasing aside, he makes you happy. That's good. Let yourself be happy, you deserve it."

Rose just smiles as they clink their glasses before downing the rest of their drinks and leaving for the roof.

When they got there, Plutarch Heavensbee was stood waiting with the tributes from Districts 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 and now 11.

Plutarch assured everyone he had temporarily disabled the cameras for the roof for the next ten minutes and any other cameras in the city wouldn't pick them up due to the strong breeze and dark night.

He told them about the plan. The rebel plan. A plan to break the tributes out of the arena, to die if necessary in order to keep Katniss alive, because she was the symbol of the rebellion and while she lived, the revolution lived.

Chaff and Rosalie's job was to go with Katniss and Peeta at the start to protect the pair. The aim was to protect both Katniss and Peeta because without Peeta, it was unknown if Katniss would even comply.

District four was also to help protect them, because of Finnick's strengths and Katniss is more likely to trust Finnick with Mags with him.

District 7 was to keep District 3 safe and then join up with Katniss. District 6 and 8 were to find and protect District 12 later on too.

Everyone slowly agreed and Rosalie was the last one. She pushed her fears of Katniss' weapon to the back of her head allowing her anger for a rebellion to overpower it,

"I'm in."