-26-

RUE POV

I did exactly as Rose told me to. She told me to get away from the cornucopia and fast, so I did. I managed to grab a small backpack on my way but it wasn't much use as it was only at the edge of the clearing. It did have a water skin and a pair of socks I could use as gloves if the nights get cold. I make a slingshot and collect rocks to use with it as well as a longer sharp shard of rock as a knife.

With my knowledge of plants from experience and Rosalie's help, I managed to find edible berries to eat just fine.

I've selected Katniss Everdeen as an ally. But she doesn't know it yet.

Once I found her location, I followed her through the trees, hopping between them like a monkey. I made sure to stay in the trees as much as possible, as advised by Rosie. The only time I was on the ground was for gathering berries.

A large fire is created by the Gamemakers. I manage to escape it, being just out of range from the fireballs. It seems they're somewhat targeting Katniss. Once it's over, I climb and hide in a tree to escape the careers finding me.

I find Katniss again, the careers camping under her like dogs. I notice a tracker jacker nest above her and point it out to her before gesturing at the careers. I make a sawing action with my hands and point to them again.

She finally nods, understanding, and climbs messily up the tree towards it. She takes out a jagged edge knife and begins to saw at the branch. I cringe when she yelps in pain as one stings her. Then another. And another. I see the branch is about to give away so I leap from tree to tree to get out of range of the wasps that she will unleash. I've been stung by them before and i'd rather not have it happen again.

Last time i'd been stung Rosalie had sat with me as I cried, treating the stings with some special leaves she had ground up in a bowl.

Tracker jackers are genetically engineered wasps, conceived and created in the Capitol. Tracker jackers were used as land mines during the war and planted around the districts of Panem. After the Dark Days, the Capitol destroyed some hives around themselves but still kept the hives around the districts as a way to show their power over the inhabitants. There were still many in the orchards, she had learnt the hard way. Tracker jackers look like normal wasps, except for their larger size and golden colour. One or two stings can cause powerful hallucinations, but several stings can lead to death.

I continue to follow Katniss as she runs mindlessly through the forest before collapsing and going unconscious. I drag her body beside a fallen tree for cover, placing her stuff besides her.

I find some of those special leaves Rosalie had used and chew them up, not having anything to grind them with, before layering them generously onto Katniss' injuries.

I step on a branch when she wakes causing her to see me hiding behind a nearby tree. I'm not great on the ground.

She makes her way over and peers round the tree, "Rue? It's okay. I'm not gonna hurt you."

I'm happy we're allies. We cook up some food.

"You want mine too?" she offers.

"No, that's okay," I decline but she gives it to me anyway. "Thanks."

"How long was I asleep?" she turns to me curiously.

"Couple of days. I changed your leaves twice." She thanks me and asks what happened. Aka, who died. "Girl from one and boy from ten." She asks about the boy from her district causing me to grin. "Yeah, he's okay. I think he's down by the river. Is all of that true? You and him?"

She laughs but asks a different question, "so where are Cato and the others?"

"They got all their supplies down by the lake. It's piled up in this great big pyramid," I explain.

"That sounds tempting."

We climb high up in a tree for the night and keep each other warm with body heat. I felt safe with her, like I do with Rosalie.

"Tell me about District 11," she asked in a quiet whisper.

"It's pretty with fields of flowers and crops and cows. And there's the orchards, that's where I worked. In the top of the trees 'cuz i'm smaller than the others. That had been Rosalie's job too."

"You seem fond of her, Rosalie. How'd you meet?"

I don't know whether she's genuinely interested or just trying to distract herself but I don't mind, talking about Rose calms me.

"I was really little so I don't remember much but I think it was just after she'd won her games. I was in the market with my mum. She was carrying my sibling and pregnant with another so I was carrying out food but we didn't have enough money. I was tryin' bargain with the man 'cuz we were hungry. That's when Rosalie came over. She payed for the food I had and more. Ever since then, she's been helping is out. That's what I like about her. She didn't have to help, no one made her, but she did. And she kept helping us for years after. She'll probably help my family for years to come too." Part of me hopes this is being shown so she can know just how much I appreciate her but the bigger part of me knows they won't show it. Rosalie was already somewhat a symbol of hope. Hope means rebellion. That scares Snow.

We make a plan the next morning.

My part was to light some fires to create a distraction, a diversion, whilst Katniss goes and destroys the Careers' supplies somehow.

"We need a signal, in case one of us gets held up," I offer. I see her pin and it reminds me of the mockingjays back home. I vocalise the four-tune 'whistle' that Rosalie had taught me that they use in the orchards. The mockingjays repeat the sound. "Back home, we use them to signal all the time. Like the end of work. Rosalie taught me how to sing it because I can't whistle."

"Rosalie?" I nod. "The Victor from a few years ago?"

"Yeah, youngest Victor ever. She's a friend. She helps me and my family."

"Why, are you related?" Katniss asks.

"No, she's just good like that," Katniss looks deep in thought. "You try the song."

Katniss whistles the tune. It's not as melodic as Rosalie's but it's pretty.

"Okay, so we hear that, it means we're okay and we'll be back real soon," I was starting to get nervous. What if something happened?

"We'll be okay," she reassures me. I embrace her tightly, "Hey, I'll see you for supper."