Chapter 2 - Best Friends

Kastali Dun

Claire stepped through a pair of wooden doors and into the Great Keep's dining hall. She paused as hundreds of eyes fell upon her; everyone was silent. She searched for a friendly face, for an empty seat, for a direction. These were all difficult tasks under such intense scrutiny. Her face burned as heat flooded her body. Today—of all days—she had allowed herself to be late! Well, not technically; technically she was still on time. The hall's door closed when dinner began. Latecomers were not permitted.

"Lady Claire! Over here!" The sound of Saffra's voice brought relief. Claire located the Seer then rushed forward.

As she proceeded down the central aisle, she felt the regard of a certain pair of silver eyes. She looked up to find King Talon at the head table, situated on a raised dais that overlooked the hall. There were three chairs to the right of King Talon and three to his left. Only one remained empty.

The king maintained eye contact; she dared not look away. Instead, she squared her shoulders and continued until she was forced to side-step down an aisle to reach Saffra.

"I saved you a seat," Saffra said, beckoning her over.

Claire sat, glad to sink out of sight and out of King Talon's scrutiny. After several deep breaths, some of her tension fled. With nothing more to see, the patrons in the hall slowly returned to their conversations until there was a healthy buzz of noise.

"Thank you for rescuing me," Claire whispered, turning to Saffra. "I've been dreading this moment all day."

Dread was a strong word but adequately described how Claire felt. Attending dinner with high-ranking members of the court was something she preferred to avoid, especially since many were openly opposed to her new title. She had gone from outsider to royal, and in the eyes of high society, that did not sit well.

Regardless of their distaste, the courtiers had no choice but to accept the king's decision. Fortunately, they kept their grumbling to a minimum. Even still, their discontent oozed through the very air Claire breathed.

"You have nothing to fear." Saffra leaned in close, keeping her voice low. "People owe you their respect."

"That may be true, but I receive scorn in the corridors—"

"Claire—!"

"No need. I've heard the rumors. I know what you did for me during court and I wanted to thank you. I also wanted to thank you for not telling everyone that..."—she glanced around to make sure no one was listening—"well, for not mentioning the part of your vision about me and Kane. I can only imagine how King Talon might have reacted."

"It was the least I could do, Claire. You do not need to thank me." Saffra grabbed Claire's hand and squeezed. "The rest of the world will come around; I am sure of it."

Claire appreciated the gesture. While many in the capital welcomed her, others were leery. After her magical abilities were discovered, the king proclaimed her his royal ward. He had hoped this gesture would eliminate any backlash or mistrust her presence created.

A loud echo captured Claire's attention and everyone else's in the room. The doors leading into the dining hall grumbled as they swung shut. Servants poured in from servant entrances carrying platters of food.

Claire looked for Desaree but she was absent, so her regard fell upon the head table. She breathed a sigh of relief; the king's attention was occupied elsewhere. Perhaps she was paranoid, but he seemed to scrutinize her more than necessary, especially lately. She rolled her eyes and looked away. He probably still distrusted her.